Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Protocall (IP) question.

Internet Protocall (IP) question.

ok..if youhave a firewall / router.. then your ip will be hidden in start>run>command>ipconfig..but how do sites like www.ipchicken.com find out the true IP? And how would i do it from the dos prompt?

thx in advance

I believe you are confused. When you are behind a router, and you run ipconfig, it shows the LAN address, aka Private IP. This is an IP for your internal network. It is most likely 192.168.1.1 as that is what most routers assign the first port. When you go to a site like IP chicken, it gets your external IP, the IP of your router that your ISP assigns you. Do you catch my drift? Basically the router takes stuff from the outside, and sends it to the inside.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Just repeating it...if your router's worth it's salt,it'll show it's ip and block your real one..it'll obviously show up if you try to check it thru dosprompt(run winipcfg.exe to find out your ip)
    So,sites like ipchicken just show you your router/firewall's addy and not your real one

You got ansfer for the first question.
    For the second question, how to know your "outside" IP, the one you got from you ISP, you could use tracert command.
    assuming that your box is directly on your router/firewall it would look like this:

&gt;tracert www.yahoo.com

Tracing route to www.yahoo.akadns.net [216.109.117.106]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 time time time 192.168.0.1 &lt;- internal IP of your router
    2 time time time xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx &lt;- external IP of your router
    3 .....
    4 ...

and so on

take a shot
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

No, they show your real IP. They show the IP that the whole world can see, the one that your ISP has given you. If it did show your private IP, then your internet wouldn't work. The internal block of IP's won't be given out by ISP's as they are reserved for LAN's. The 192.168.*.*, 10.*.*.*, and 172.*.*.* (not 100% sure on that last one, I don't work with any class 2's)

EDIT: ikalo gave you a good answer to your 2nd question, I didn't notice your 2nd one there :| heh.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    What that site is reporting is your external IP, you can find it yourself but looking at you routers diagnostics page or doing a trace route (to any host on the Internet) from the command prompt and observing what it says. Most likely the 2nd hop is you wan (aka: external) IP. The command in Windows is called “tracert”.

Also, what you can do, is to go to a site like this: http://www.auditmypc.com/ and run some of their auditting tools. Not only will they tell you what you IP actually is, but let you know if you have any serious security holes in your system.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Quick aside to ikalo's post...

Your router may be "stealthed" in such a way that it may not respond to pings. Pings of course are what the tracert command uses to determine the host.

I just attempted the tracert on my router, and every attempt was timed out.

Also, are you sure the router would return your external IP or the internal IP? I'm just saying that my internet gateway is 192.168.1.1 internally, which is what (I would think) would respond to the ping. But I could be wrong.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

It SHOULD show both the internal and the external. Like say if you pinged your ISP's RADIUS server or something (so it would have 3 hops) it would be like:

aksjdflkj server [221.111.111.111]

Router [221.111.222.333]

Router [192.168.1.1]

Your router is running NAT, or more likely PAT (sometimes called overflow or overflow addressing and is also explained in the clicky.)

Here is the RFC about private address spaces. it explains how the 'non-routeable addresses' work.