Thread: Resume Help

Resume Help

Yesterday I went to a computer store to buy and IDE cable. The lady working gave me one for free. Then I asked her If they were hireing. She said yes and asked me what i know. I told her The stuff that i know and she sounded pretty impressed. She said that because of my age (15) That I should write a resume and bring it to the boss on monday. Im not to good with resumes though. We wrote one in school but thats about it. What do you guys think i should put in it. I really need this job. Any links to sites about writing a resumes for a tech job would be appreciated. I would mostly be putting together computers and doing software installation which i am good at both. But what else should I put in the resume.

Thanks in advance
    Kryptonic

Well definitely make it look professional and make punctuation 100%. Be sure to include past job's, any certification's you have, what experience you have (that will make him happy), and let him know that you have a lot of knowledge in the particular field. Let him know you're flexible and can work with him and you'll do your best on the job. If you need more direct help and possibly a sample resume, PM me and I'll try to help you out.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Most professional writing classes would cover this in college but since your probably not in college because you are 15 i will give you some tips.
    Sections to consider are:

Your heading should contain the following:
    Name
    Address
    phone number
    email address

Career Objevtive:
    A short description of what you would like to accomplish.

Experience:
    List any previous jobs you may have had in this particular field. You can also list non paying jobs or work study. An example would be a computer lab assistant at your highschool.

Skills:
    List all skills you have learned in list format. Any software suites etc..

References:
    List work and personal references here along with there phone number and relationship.

A few more tips that may help are as follows.
    Use resume paper that is not wite. Usually a soft yellow is sufficient to help your resume stand out amoungst the many. Although in your case it may not apply because you are most likely the only one being evaluated.

When creating your lists use bullet points. Also make sure to employ paralelism.
    Paralelism means to use the same type of verb, noun, or adjective to start each short phrase.
    example
    Using
    Building
    Deploying
    Serviceing

Heading should be bold and in a slightly larger font and if you wish you can write a cover letter to include with your resume. I have including a link here that may help you along also.
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/pw/
    I hope this will help you and good luck in getting that job.
    Ease
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Here is a very good link that we had to use in school for practice... actually i personally chose to use it because it is very technical.... and a college level resume guide if i am not mistaking.

Here is the link..,
    http://careers.villanova.edu/Student...guidelines.htm

First i will say good luck and hope you get the job.

EaseZE, i think has just about covered it, i wouldn't worry too much about
    making it really fancy. As long as it is readable and truthfull.

Being only 15, i would assume you wouldn't have too many past employers
    to list as references, so i would suggest that you emphasize your keen attitude
    to obtain employment to learn and become part of the companies valued assets.

Enthusiasm will get the person attracted to your application, and with the right attitude,
    should mean more than what your references are.

Remember to offer a demonstation of your skills if you are considered for the job and are
    asked back for an interview.

Hope it goes well.....cheers

OK guys I just finished writing my cover letter. Here it is please let me know what you think of it and any improvements i can make. NOTE: I did not list all of my skill sets as it is said you should not add to much of your accutal resume.

Here is my cover letter (I left out my contact information for security reasons)

Dear Store Owner,

My name is Tim Fogle and I am writing because I wish to seek employment with you. I stopped by your store on Friday July 30th, 2004 seeking employment. A lady was working and she told me that you are hireing and that I should prepare a resume to hand in to you.

I have been working with computers since the age of 13. I am 15 now. I know a large amount of information about computers. One think I know is Operating System installation. I have installed Every version of Windows and Some of the Linux Operating Systems. I know how to get around very well in Windows. I also know alot about computer security. One thing I know but wish to improve on is Building Computers. I have built my own computer but with a little help from my dad. I feel that you company will benefit from me because I have a great drive to learn and I am a very hard worker.

In closing I would like to say thank you for your time and I hope I am the right person for the job. If you wish to contact me you can do so by calling me at (my phone numer) or e-mail me at TimFogle5@hotmail.com. Thanks again for your time.

Can't see anything wrong with that at all. Some might like to pick the bones out of it,
    but i wouldn't change much. The only thing that might need to be added, is how you said
    you didn't list all you skills. I would list them so he has all that you are offering in front of him.
    Just my opinion, i could be wrong. Anyways apart from that, i think it is decent letter.
    cheers....TidaL.....

if your using office 2003 (dunno about previous versions) you can go to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033

(assuming you used the default installation path)

and choose resume wizard.wiz it will guide you through most of the sections and lay it out for you

v_Ln

Banned
    Make sure you correct all your typo's/spelling errors
    You wouldn't be the first to not get a job because of spelling errors.

Well I just got home from turning my resume in. They said that they are looking more for someone who can drive but they are gonna keep me in mind and let me know if something comes up.