Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the IP show on email headers

the IP show on email headers

Hey everyone, I have a basic question.
    In the full header of yahoo email,
    there's
    Received: from by web20408.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP
    Is that the IP of my computer. If I send out an email, would I be exposing my IP? thanks

Nope, not yours. That's Yahoo's webserver. Your safe.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Only if you send out an anonymous e-mail could it possibly contain you're IP address in the header of the e-mail message. But the mail service you signed up for (in this case yahoo) has what's called a mailserver it goes through and that's the IP you see.
    Space For Rent.. =]

If you telnet to an Smpt server and send a mail then your ip addres will be exposed.Quite often while sending E-cards, the receiver gets your ip address

Alterk0de: I dunno about the e-card ordeal, are you sure? I highly doubt that the receiver see's the IP address. However, when telnetting to a SMTP (not the other way around, I know it's confusing but think Simple Mail Transfer Protocol ) server then I believe your IP could show up.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Nope, not yours. That's Yahoo's webserver. Your safe.
    Wrong. Sending from Yahoo's e-mail server does show your IP when someone views full headers... you can test it out by sending yourself an e-mail, like I have in the pic below.

Banned
    theReaper is absolutely right... you guys might want to take a look at the X-Originating-IP header in your "anonymous" emails.

yeah..i'm sure about the e-card.Try sending an e card to yourself and thank you for correcting me.Check out more about headers in Carolyn Meinel' site

http://www.happyhacker.org

nah that is not your Ip... your IP is solid numbers (56.105.164.26) There is an example of what an IP looks like so you do not need to worry! that is not your IP it is some yahoo IP... your IP may show during an e mail when you send it though. that i could not tell you... i do not use yahoo mail.

Originally posted here by jr05linux
    nah that is not your Ip... your IP is solid numbers (56.105.164.26) There is an example of what an IP looks like so you do not need to worry! that is not your IP it is some yahoo IP... your IP may show during an e mail when you send it though. that i could not tell you... i do not use yahoo mail.
    jr05linux, I can ensure you that is my IP, I run a server off of that IP normally, and have domains pointing at it, and just to float your boat, I went to whatismyip.com and took a picture for you.