strange hidden folder

Thread: strange hidden folder

Question strange hidden folder

Hello,

1. I'm running a windows 2000 server with IIS5.
    2. One site has a strange folder issue.
    3. Content is still being delivered on the NET but if you look for the folder(on the server) through Explorer it does not exist.(even with show hidden folders etc... on )
    4. The same issue if you try and view through DOS. (ie dir w*)
    5. Now, in DOS, if you type the whole path it exist.

6. Attrib command displays nothing odd.

Puzzled?? What is the problem?

sonic

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    What is the name of the folder? Are you sure the is not a virtual directory setup in IIS pointing to another folder with a different name?.

Originally posted here by Irongeek
    What is the name of the folder? Are you sure the is not a virtual directory setup in IIS pointing to another folder with a different name?.

The folder name is not important but lets say it called "test1" and the website is pointing to that folder as the home directory.

Now ,go into the server and look for the folder using Explorer or DOS.
    -Explorer shows nothing (ie settings in explorer are set to display everything including hidden files and folders etc..)
    -DOS shows nothing (ie dir tes*)

Puzzled??

Sonic

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Yes i have also Noticed this Thing in Windows 2000.......i I noticed that in Windows 2000 there were a Few System Folders and Files That were Completely Hidden from the User.........Unlike Windows 98/ME where you can see all the HIdden and System Files...........By specifing Show All Hidden and System Files in the Folder Option..they were not Visible even after that in windows 2000...and from that day onwards i have used this trick to hide a few Things ....The Trick is to Use all Four Attributes at the same time......

If you set the Attributes of the Folder or File say test1 To Attrib test1 +a +s +h +r .......now this file will get completely hidden in windows 2000........even after Setting the Option in the Folder Menu to Show Hidden/System Files this file or Folder would not be Displayed by Explorer or in DOS Prompt.

Only way to see this file or folder is to use Attrib Command in the dos Prompt.........where it will give you a list of all the files and folders and their attrubutes....That's the only way ..........Or to Just Put in the Full Path in the Explorer Or Prompt.........My Guess was that this was a Windows 2000 way of hiding the Absolute Critical Files from the Users...........Even after Setting the Option to Show]Hidden Files These Files are not Visible....

Now the folder in question ......at the prompt remove a few Attributes form it say ..........Attrib File1 -a -s -h -r ............then you can respecify the ones you need Attrib File1 +a +h.....see it should be now visible ones you set the Folder option to Show Hidden Files.......

Hope this Helps......Sorry if i misread the Question.........

--Good Luck--

In W2k/XP there is onother option on Folder Options / view
    it is "Hide protected operating system files (recomended)"
    it hides files with s attribut set no mater if you choose to show hidden files.
    all you need to do is to uncheck that option.. and woila.. you can see everything now.. even boot.ini
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

"Hide protected operating system files (recomended)"
    it hides files with s attribut set no mater if you choose to show hidden files.
    Nope the File will have to have all the four ( a s h r) Attributes set ..........to hide it and not just the s.............All the Protected File have all Four Attributs set thats why they are hidden ..if one of them is missing it wouldn't be hidden........i use the same tick to hide my files ..................it's a lame trick but works most of the time.......

And thanks for reminding me....... i just forgot where that option for hiding them was

--Good Luck--

AO French Antique News Whore
    Putting the "Hide protected operating system files (recomended)" option will show everything if use with show hidden file option. I can see the Local Service and Network Service Profile if I select those option.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

i just tried your little "attrib [folder/file name] +a +h +s +r" however when i did a "dir /ad" it still showed up.... might be a way to get around your completely invisible folder problem... (ad = attribute directory)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

I think i was not able to make myself understood here.....

To hide a File you have to Set the h Attribute for the File...... Attrib file1 +h

Makes the File Hidden...........To see the file you need to select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders in Folder Options......

Now Windows 2000 and XP used a different Type of File Hiding..........Hiding their Protected Files....There is a .checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files if you check this all the Files that are considered Protectd are hidden ........e.g Boot.ini etc

I was trying to see how does it find which files to hide.........Does it append a special attrubutes like the h attribute for hidden files or keeps a listing of all those files and hides all files in that list........what i found is it just hides files which has all four attributes set ( a s h r)...........Now if you Check this checkbox..........Windows looks for all those files that have all the four attributes set and consideres them as Protected file/folder and hides it........Including non protected ones which has all the Four Set ........

In windows 2000 / Xp to see all the hidden and system files you need to to do two things

# select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

# Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

The thing that i was trying to pass here was how windows does that........how does hide it's protected files......How does it recognise files to be hidden.....

Now the Original Problem was similer to this in my openion that sonic555 was able to see the folder when he put in the whole path but was not able to see the Folder in explorer or with Dir w*...........My guess was that this folder has all the four Attributes set and windows is consedering it as a protected folder...........it might be something else we need sonic555 to check that out..............

If this is the case .........I wouldn't reccomend Unchecking the Hide protected operating system files....because it willl make all other protected files visible...and as he said it was not some important folder rather some random test1 folder....it wouldn't be practile to disable the Protection for some insignificant folder........rather remove the protecton form that very folder ... remove just one of the attribute from that very folder.......It will make just this folder visible.

And djscribble yes Attrib command lists them............Attrib Enter will give the list of all files including the ones Protected /hidden and similarly dir /ad will list Directories including protected ones......The thing is it's not a foolproof way of data hiding it's a way windows hides it's protected files........and you can make your file look to windows as protected.......they will be treated as protected and will be hidden as other protected system files.........

--Good Luck--

[Edit]
    Oppsy ....For 5 long months i was under the impression that it's +a +s +h +r ....that hides them.............Actually when i looked at files that were hidden by that option....Hide protected files/Folders...i noticed they all had all the attributes set ....so when i did the same to my file it too went missing...(hidden)........just today i tried a few more things ...it's just the combination of two ........s and h Attributes that makes them hidden .....sorry my bad......