Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do You Disable a port manually ???

Exclamation How do You Disable a port manually ???

My firewall log shows a lot of attempts by different people to Tracert my pc.The source and the destination ports are both 6346.This means that there's some trojan in my pc and the dumb lamer is using some canned client program.My dumb anti trojan software doesn't detect it.. Is there some way i can just stop all activities in a particular port (6346!) ?? or is there some really good and free antitrojan software ????

How about using a firewall? Sygate, Kerio, and Zone Alarm are all free and can keep them from accessing your PC.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

BANNED
    It's a Gnutella file sharing port. So someone could just have their client configured wrong.
    Here's a list of port assignments: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    And if you don't know what the process is that is listed just do a google on it to find out what it is.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I use a firewall called Omniguard... the problem with it is that when i use it i can't use any instant messengers or p2p ... Reminds me of what Peter Norton said about internet security
    " Security is inversely proportional to convenience "

See obviously, a firewall can help you turn off a specified service or close a port for you. But to close it manually there are a number of way's. For instance, if you are running an FTP server which run's on Port 21 and you wanna close it, simply turn off the server. That will shutdown that port. Same with http (80), etc etc. Hope I was of some help.
    Space For Rent.. =]

hmmm .. so..how do i find out the server running on this particular port anyway ?? ..

The port in question is 6346? What I would do is google a port list (or a few) and check them out. See what service's/application's/etc are running on that port and then report back with that information.

EDIT: I came up with this:

port 6346: gnutella-svc

I'ma research it out for ya (try to as well, google is our friend) and see what it exactly is. It sound's oddly familiar and I feel dumb right now, it sound's like something I should know. Anyway's, report back with finding's if any.
    Space For Rent.. =]

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by Alterk0de
    hmmm .. so..how do i find out the server running on this particular port anyway ?? ..
    If you want to find out if there is an app/service with that port open run netport ( http://softgears.com/netport.html ) and see what it maps to. Most likley it's not attaching to any open port on your system and you are just being scanned. May just be someone looking for open gnutella-svc boxes.

I dunno, usually when you are probed it's for something a little more common than that type of service/port. It could be something a little more legit and targeted. Like I said, research it and find out way's to shut it off if it's not needed (which I don't think it is).
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hey Hey

My firewall log shows a lot of attempts by different people to Tracert my pc.The source and the destination ports are both 6346.This means that there's some trojan in my pc and the dumb lamer is using some canned client program.My dumb anti trojan software doesn't detect it.. Is there some way i can just stop all activities in a particular port (6346!) ?? or is there some really good and free antitrojan software ????
    I use a firewall called Omniguard... the problem with it is that when i use it i can't use any instant messengers or p2p ... Reminds me of what Peter Norton said about internet security
    " Security is inversely proportional to convenience "
    So are you running the software or not? I'm guessing yes if you have a firewall log. I'd suggest you check out other firewall software. Tracert.. Trace Route is a method of determining the number of hops between two points and the path the packet takes. This is done using ICMP, so you shouldn't be seeing any ports on these attempts... You also said these are attempts, this doesn't mean any connection occurred... It's not even proof that that port is open on your PC... just that someone checked to see if it was. The odds are you don't have a trojan... and most AV software these days will pick up trojans, so grab a copy of AVG Free... or if you must have a trojan Cleaner.. check out The Cleaner by MooSoft.

As as closing ports.... like everyone has said find out the application that is opening the port and kill it if you don't need it.. Ports don't just open, there's always a piece of software beind it... Irongeek mentioned netport... I prefer fport.. it's a very handy console app to have around. Download Here

Peace,
    HT