study recommendations

Thread: study recommendations

study recommendations

Could anyone help me with trying to learn more about this computer
    security subject? I am continually hitting brick walls in the learning process,
    and confused what i should be learning more of to start understanding
    how everything works.

It's also damn frustrating being limited to the type
    of threads i can post in because of my lack of knowledge.
    Is there a route to take in learning, like the abc's? What subject should i learn
    first before trying to learn something else?

Could you recommend any part time study i could undertake,Tafe courses?

I would appreciate any advice given from those who i aspire to know as much as.

cheers.....TidaL.....

Hey Hey,

Where does your current level of knowledge stand? I'd suggest picking up a programming language and some networking knowledge. Check your local book stores for "MCSE Training Kit - Networking Essentials Third Edition"... The book store at our college just unloaded every copy they have $3 CDN each... What I heard is that its outdated and a newer version is out, but it covers all the basics of networking and some semi-indepth stuff. Also search the net for an older version of the Cisco CCNA or Nortel Netknowledge Curriculumn that's available in PDF format. As far as programming.. I'm biased, but I'd say learn Python... It's almost 100% cross-platform compliant... completely free and easy to find and install on any system. It's an interpreted language, but there is software to generate .exe files out of your .py scripts.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Thanks for the advice HTRegz, My current level of knowledge is at best basic. I can
    re-install my o/s having screwed it up twice, can get it up and running with all standard
    protection software, a/v, firewall. Think that's about it.

I have recently downloaded Python 2.3, problem is learning how to even start with it.

I am still looking for a store near me that has the MCSE Networking book and have found
    a couple of listings for it at $80-$100.

Is there a Python for dummies book that you know of, or a site that you could recommend
    me?

Thanks again for your post, it's appreciated.
    cheers...TidaL.....

I gotta disagree with python. I like the language and it's compatibility, and I felt it was pretty easy to use, but the online community doesn't compare to that of perl. Plus it seems perl coders are more sought after....? Not sure, IMO.
    Perl was more confusing to me, but I think it will be more valuable in the long run. It was much easier to study at google university even though the language itself was harder.

Java is also a good language to pick up... and a good learning enviroment is BlueJ. Almost any Java source you find online, you can plug into the Java sdk and 99% of the time it will work, unlike c and other languages that depend on other stuff.

I second HT for everything else.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: study recommendations

Originally posted here by tiDaLfAze23
    Could you recommend any part time study i could undertake,Tafe courses?
    Have you checked out all your local college and University resources? obviously I don't know your local geography and what is available, but here in Glasgow and surrounding areas there is almost anything available including Network Security, which can be done as a stand-alone module or as part of a degree course, this is in addition to all the Cisco / Microsoft certs, there is also a full time post grad security course, but you have to have a computer related degree for entry.
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Hrmm while a local college or university might be a good answer, there are even some online courses you can take that can help you further your knowledge. But like HTRegz said, try focusing on a programming language (preferably Java or C) and then you should study an OS in and out. From there study exploit's for that OS, exploit's in general, what make's what work, what make's what insecure/secure, etc.
    Space For Rent.. =]

AO's Mr Grumpy
    tiDaL
    One of the many books that I have and recommend, it may be of interest , and help to you
    Security in Computing, Third Edition
    By Charles P. Pfleeger, Shari Lawrence Pfleeger

Publisher : Prentice Hall PTR
    Pub Date : December 02, 2002
    ISBN : 0-13-035548-8
    Pages : 746

Security in Computing, Third Edition systematically demonstrates how to control failures of confidentiality, integrity, and availability in applications, databases, operating systems, and networks alike.

This sweeping revision of the field's classic guide to computer security reflects today's entirely new generation of network- and Internet-based threats and vulnerabilities, and offers practical guidance for responding to them.

Updated to cover wireless security, intrusion detection, AES, DRM, biometrics, honeypots, online privacy, and more

Security in Internet-based, distributed, desktop and traditional centralized applications

New attacks, including scripted vulnerability probing, denial of service, and buffer overflows—with symptoms and cures

Clear, accessible introduction to cryptography—without sophisticated math

Up-to-the-minute explanations of digital signatures, certificates, and leading-edge quantum cryptography

Thoroughly revamped coverage of software engineering practices designed to enhance program security

Expanded coverage of risk management, contingency planning, and security policies

Detailed presentation of protection in general-purpose and trusted operating systems

Extensive pedagogical resources: end-of-chapter reviews and exercises, lists of key terms, and authoritative references

Exceptionally clear and easy to understand, the book covers not only technical issues, but also law, privacy, ethics, and the physical and administrative aspects of security
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Thank you all for the replies. I am still hunting down some of those books
    in my local area, so i will in the meantime be checking those sites out that kryptonic,
    posted. Great links by the way, seems that the first one covers just about everything
    i will need. I will also check out some other languages to hopefully get a feel for it.

Thanks again. TidaL.....

It was much easier to study at google university

"Google Rocks"