Unable to boot linux-2.6.7

Thread: Unable to boot linux-2.6.7

Unable to boot linux-2.6.7

Hi,
    I recently tried to move to linux-2.6 series from linux-2.4. I have installed Slackware 9.1 and it can boot with success using a kernel a have configured of linux-2.4.25, but when I try to boot the linux-2.6.7 which I have compiled it freezes with the messages:

VFS: Cannot open root device '1605' or unknown-block (22,5)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kenrel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (22,5)

I have a 120GB Western Digital WD120JD Hard Disk which is connected to a SATA controller in my motherboard. As I have read on the mailing lists usually the problem is that either the filesystem or the disk is not supported. I have sellected support for my ext2 (my filesystem), ide and SATA (under SCSI low level drivers). I tried to append a root= boot option to my lilo.conf but I got the same error.

Any help?

Thanks
    Nikos

Banned
    when you added the correct "root=" path in your lilo.conf did you then run the /sbin/lilo?(i think that is the path) to make the changes take effect?

have you tried removing that parameter from the boot line?
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Yes I ran /sbin/lilo again...as I believe the problem is either to the kernel parameters or lilo.conf options. Bo you think I should try to compile the kenrel with module support for ext2 and sata and then use a initrd.img file? For the time being I am not using an initrd option and the 'root=' option in lilo.cof doesn't affect the problem as I didn't use it and there was the same problem

Thanks
    Nikos