Connection Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connection Problem

Banned

Connection Problem

ok i just bought a new computer and i want to hook it up to my internet. I have roadrunner, (cable modem) and all i did was dissconnect it from my old computer and connect it to my new computer. It wont connect.....under network connections, in status it says connected, but i cant get on the internet (cant ping cant get on erinet, nothing). I tried repairing it and all it says failed to renew ip address.....btw im using Windows Xp

Any suggestions????

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Use the 'Internet connection wizard'

In W2K R/clk 'my network places' on your desktop.
    click on properties.
    click on 'make new connection'.

Do you have the correct drivers on your new box ?
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Regal Making Handler
    Install the drivers and software that came with your cable modem for your old box.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    tried all of that, but when i put in my cable modem cd to configure, it says you do not have a NIC card.......but i just bought it and its connected

Regal Making Handler
    Was your old pc running win xp????
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    yep

Regal Making Handler
    My best guess would be mac authentication then. Get intouch with your isp, and explane you have a new pc.

Banned
    lol just got off the phone with them and they are stumped, i have to call back to get an 'expert'

A few things I would try.

1.Go to the control panel and check the device manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark where the Nic card is located.
    2.shutdown your computer and unplug the modem for about 30 seconds and then replug it in and then restart your computer
    3.Go to your internet options and make sure Never dial a connection is selected.

Banned
    yeah ive tried all of that, thanks tho