9 52.94%
  • Swordfish

4 23.53%
  • Takedown

4 23.53%

Thread: Boxes vs. Boxen

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Boxes vs. Boxen

Iím working on a new tutorial and was wondering what is the most accepted plural for box (as in *nix box, Windows XP box, BeOS box). Do you use boxes or boxen? Feel free to move this to another board, Iím not sure where this question fits in.

Regal Making Handler
    Box's
    Boxen is German for boxing.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually.. from Dictionary.com

box

<computer> 1. A computer; especially in the construction "foo box" where foo is some functional qualifier, like "graphics", or the name of an operating system (thus, "Unix box", "MS-DOS box", etc.) "We preprocess the data on Unix boxes before handing it up to the mainframe." The plural "boxen" is sometimes seen.
    I would think either would be acceptable but probably to avoid some confusion for those who have never or rarely seen "boxen" I'd use boxes.

And just to be nit-picky, "box's" is the possessive contraction, which would suggest the box owns something, e.g., the box's top. Boxes is the common plural although as shown above, boxen could also be used.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

wouldn't box's simply be the possessive case?

you aren't contracting anything.

box - singular
    the box's top - singular possessive
    the boxes' tops - plural possessive
    the boxes, or boxen (ox and oxen?) - plural

the boxz - leet plural
    the b0xerz - uberleet singular and plural possessive (or not).
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Banned
    What she means is that when saying box's you are saying that the boxes have ownership of something. Though that is interesting.

It would more matter on the context that it is used in.

I have 10 box's.
    I have 10 boxes. The first one is correct.

Though to be honest I always assumed, but never checked that box's was it's own plural. I would just as soon say that boxes' or however it would be is correct also.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Eh?!

Inflected Form(s): plural box or box∑es
    I have 10 box's.
    I have 10 boxes. The first one is correct.
    The first one is not the correct plural reference. The 2nd one is. (V)/\>< has it entirely correct for both singular and plural possessive formats.

you aren't contracting anything.
    Very true. I was thinking in the sense of "it's" (a contraction of it and is) when it should have been simply possessive singular or plural.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Regal Making Handler
    Sorry guys.
    Box's boxes. The little dotty thing was just to replace the e, in my post.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry