No More IRS!?!

Thread: No More IRS!?!

No More IRS!?!

A domestic centerpiece of the Bush/GOP agenda for a second Bush term is getting rid of the Internal Revenue Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

http://www.drudgereport.com/rnc.htm

The Speaker of the House will push for replacing the nation's current tax system with a national sales tax or a value added tax, Hill sources tell DRUDGE.

"People ask me if I’m really calling for the elimination of the IRS, and I say I think that’s a great thing to do for future generations of Americans," Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert explains in his new book, to be released on Wednesday.

"Pushing reform legislation will be difficult. Change of any sort seldom comes easy. But these changes are critical to our economic vitality and our economic security abroad," Hastert declares in SPEAKER: LESSONS FROM FORTY YEARS IN COACHING AND POLITICS.

"“If you own property, stock, or, say, one hundred acres of farmland and tax time is approaching, you don’t want to make a mistake, so you’re almost obliged to go to a certified public accountant, tax preparer, or tax attorney to help you file a correct return. That costs a lot of money. Now multiply the amount you have to pay by the total number of people who are in the same boat. You can’t. No one can because precise numbers don’t exist. But we can stipulate that we’re talking about a huge amount. Now consider that a flat tax, national sales tax, or VAT would not only eliminate the need to do this, it could also eliminate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself and make the process of paying taxes much easier."

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity. If you can do that, you can change gross national product and start growing the economy. You could double the economy over the next fifteen years. All of a sudden, the problem of what future generations owe in Social Security and Medicare won’t be so daunting anymore. The answer is to grow the economy, and the key to doing that is making sure we have a tax system that attracts capital and builds incentives to keep it here instead of forcing it out to other nations."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

At a glance this seems to me to be the fairest way of doing thing. Everyone pays a flat tax affordable to all and those with money to buy many expensive things pay more in sales tax. While, as today, staples like food (uncooked) go untaxed.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

FINALLY! I'm all for that!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uh huh. And do you honestly think they want to put that many people out of work? Someone still has to collect that VAT tax. Someone still has to ensure that businesses are collecting it properly and correctly as well as offer visitors the chance for rebates on it (want those tourist dollars to return).

Additionally, think how much money could be brought in if there was a VAT *AND* regular taxes. That's what happened in Canada. Back in the 80s a national tax was introduced. The present government had claimed to remove it. Interestingly enough, it still remains along with yearly taxes that are paid by every citizen (those under a certain income get a rebate issued quarterly).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yeah, I imagine this will meet massive opposition. As awesome as that would be, I wonder if it coul ever hold a fighting chance and pass.

What happens to accountants who do taxes for businesses?

Uh huh. And do you honestly think they want to put that many people out of work?
    Hell yeah, they're republicans! Joke.

Aside from joking, there would be extremely less people in the IRS if all they had to process was business sales tax reports. They do that now and then process 200 million or so personal income tax packets each year. Amazing office, that IRS. I would have to see some cold hard numbers to even entertain the idea of a Euro style VAT.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    What happens to accountants who do taxes for businesses?
    H&R Block charges something like 90 dollars to do a short form and around 45 to do an E-Z...they should go out of buisness as far as private taxs are concerned. the uneducated citizen gets raped by people like them. with this your employer takes out so much a week for the flat tax and the rest is payed at the register. with the entire private population eliminated the tax dept could pay some real attention to corporations where the big money gets hidden.

the need for tax accounts would still be there for buissnesses as im sure they would be watched more closely. sales taxes would also be a federal matter.

like i said at first glance this sounds great to me. couldn't think of anything that sounds as fair to everyone. you buy big you pay big taxes. you cant afford to buy...you have more money for non-taxable items like food....expensive luxury car/economy car etc.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

you buy big you pay big taxes. you cant afford to buy...you have more money for non-taxable items like food
    Exactly, and that's my personal philosophy on it. And I don't think we should keep the IRS just so IRS employees will keep their jobs...though if it does go through, we should do something to help them back into employment, as any responsbile lay-off giving firm should do.

collections personal are much sought after in the job market

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    collections personal are much sought after in the job market
    Uh huh. Have you ever done it? My stepfather was one. It's a horrible job. Verbal and physical abuse is common. Personally, I hated watching him deal with some of these people.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage