Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't access files on other hd.

Can't access files on other hd.

My girlfriends OS crashed a while ago. We got her a new hd because it was a 5" drive. I tried to copy her old files from Windows XP Pro to her new hd but it won't let me copy files out of her user folder. Files in other sections of the drive were able to copy. Does anyone know a way around this?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Is the old drive formatted NTFS and are you logged in as an admin? What error do you get?

It could be a permission's issue. Are you in an admin account and was your old drive formatted to NTFS?

EDIT: Damn Irongeek beat me to it
    Space For Rent.. =]

install the os on the new HD w/ntfs. make the old one a secondary HD. logged on as admin on the new OS you can copy anything over from the old hd
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It says Access is Denied. I took a picture of the screen. I already tried Tedob1's idea and it didn't work. I can't also boot from the old hd. So I can't log on to it.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    But are you logged in as the Administrator or as an account in the local administrators group?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Oh, to find out if you are a local admin drop out to the command prompt and do the following command:

Code:
    whoami /groups
    If you are an admin there should be a line in the output like this one:

[Group 5] = "BUILTIN\Administrators"

I had this happend to me once before. I coould not, even as the administrator, change the permissions. Boot Windows in safe mode as the administrator then reset the permissions. If by some chance the files were encrypted and you did not back up the recovery key then they are lost.

Just Another Geek
    No need to boot to safe mode but you may need to "Take Ownership" of the files before you're able to change the ACLs.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You can reset permissions of an older hd thru an admin like user, since those permissions are related to OTHER installation of Windows and the new one will permit you to change that.

Exception:

the folder was encripted. see at folders properties if it is.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.