Thread: Help with coding a website, please...

Help with coding a website, please...

I am putting together a website that needs to possibly utilize a point system of some kind similar to that of the popular paid-to-click sites. It needs to be able to keep up with the points and after a user collects enough, an email needs to be sent to admin to confirm that they have enough points for their "prize" or "reward." I don't care what language this is done in, if that matters, and money doesn't matter to me. I just really really need help with this all, including scripts that'll do it, where I should go for best hosting of it (very high traffic, 50gb/month or so), and how I can implement an ads system that people can click on and sign up for and subsequently be sent an email with a link I specify that they must click on to verify their sign up.

I'd immensely appreciate any help you all can give me with this.

TIA

Custom User
    If money isn't a problem, you should email some of the admins of sites that you are talking about and ask who designed their site. See if you can get a site made for you (it just seems like you aren't a coder yourself...no offense)

ac

Hehe, you're correct, I'm not *much* of a coder myself, but not at all when it comes to web-based languages.

I will use emailing them as a last resort, but thanks for suggesting it. While money is not a problem at all, I'd still rather make the smarter economic decision and do something else if it's cheaper. When worst comes to worst, though, I'll definitely take your advice and email the admins of other sites. Thanks.

Banned
    Most pay-to-click sites I know of use the Turnkeywebsite script. The really good ones have their own scripts with maximized fraud-protection, though (something you really should consider if you're planning on starting something like this).

For PTR (paid-to-read (email)), almost all sites use the Cash Crusaders script. I think there's a fixed price of $99.95 for this script (no matter where you buy it).

A lot of webhosters offer you the entire package: webhosting (with all the goodies) + the script (they'll even set it up for you if you want)...

Negative, how much do you think it'd cost me to have someone write the site for me and it be completely (or as much as possible) securely and fraud-preventing? Thanks a ton for your help thus far, btw.

Banned
    Most sites use one of those "hard-to-read numbers that you have to type in in order to proceed",in order to prevent automated click-scripts. I'm sure there are free scripts out there that do that, and you'll probably be able to include them in whatever you're making.

I have no idea about pricing for script-writing and the such...

Ninja Code Monkey
    I believe Negative means one of the OCR protection schemes which are usually used to stop automated account signup and other web application actions. I think there is free stuff to do it out on the net, if I see anything I'll post it.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Ok, thanks Juridian.

Nice to see you guys, by the way. Old School AO representin', hah.

A php tutorial on "hard-to-read numbers that you have to type in in order to proceed" from http://www.zend.com :
    http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/tutorial-mehmet1.php

To do what you asking with PHP it wouldn't take much, just a good secure user authentication system, a well designed database, and plenty of links to advertisers.

My thinking is that the authentication page would set some handy $_SESSION variables, and then when clicking on a link it would actually look more like h t t p://foo.com/linkpassthru.php?url=advertisersite.com and the linkpassthru page would take those $_SESSION variables and use them to identify the user and them update the db to say that they clicked on advertisersite.com and then it would redirect them to that site.

It isn't that it would be hard, its just that it would be tedious to make sure that someone doesn't take advantage of the system and that your advertisers to take advantage of you. I'd make darn sure that you know the who, when, and how many so that when the advertisers say were paying for X amount of traffic you can be like "What about the other (Y-X)?" and they say "Prove it." and you'll output a DB report with more information that the bastards ever though possible.

You could do it with a flat file, but... that brings other issues.

Salut,
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Banned
    A php tutorial on "hard-to-read numbers that you have to type in in order to proceed"...
    It's called OCR protection scheme, Dhej