Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a virus, a spyware or a trojan??

Is it a virus, a spyware or a trojan??

When is reformated my com 2 months ago, i did not install any anti-virus or related software. So after a while, this spyware(or virus or trojan) change my home page to sum stupid search engine

no matter how much i tried to use different anti-spyware likeAd-adware or spy bot, it was to no avail. Then a week later, when i log on to hotmail, it change to that same website again. Another week later, others sites that i needed to be log in also turn to that website.

Another problem with my computer( don't know if they both problem are related) was that one day my wave volume started to keep on going mute, i tried restarting and is still the same. The next day, it was my master volume that started to go mute.
    the worst came the next day, where i was not able to open some program, as my com will crash.

I end up reformating the com. Problem solve.

So can any1 tell me what the problem is and how can i prevent and solve them

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    A few quick tips:

1. When all else fails use Hijackthis (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html ), it finds potential problems that Ad Aware and Spybot do not.
    2. Read popup before clicking yes.
    3. Use Mozilla instead of IE.
    4. Always run Antivirus software and keep it up to date.
    5. Keep up to date on your OS patches.

that thing you speak of is actually considered a trojan i believe.

there should be a .dll file located in the windows or windows/system folder (or somewhere on the computer like) that is responsible for actually changing the website you are viewing.

this file can be loaded when you start windows in a number of ways. normally there's a key in the registry. HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run or RunOnce or something like that. normally, it will also start from here and .../Internet Explorer/Run. i don't think that's correct. thought there is a Run associated with IE in the registry. you can find the first key by start/run ``msconfig'' and going to one of the tabs there. but removing this won't do. normally this will be copied back here by the key in InternetExplorer/Run. so you must delete the .dll and the two keys.

there's probably a whole load of otherways for these things to run. but the point is they are considered tojans so adaware and those dealies won't remove them.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Hello,

Here are a few things you can do to check for trojans/spyware/adware:
    1. Use the msconfig tool (start>run>msconfig) to verify all programs that start with windows. (see the startup tab) if in doubt, remove everything, this will disable any trojans at startup.
    2. Check the Startup folder to make sure nothing suspicious is in.
    3. download Spyware Doctor 2.0. this is a very nice tool that has a live update function and removes most (if not all) spyware. Be aware though that to enable the liveupdate function you need to pay. The free version scans up to 10800 adware/spyware/cookies.
    4. Another fancy tool you can use is Winpatrol. With this software you can view IE's helper programs, such as XXX toolbars, dialers, spyware and many more that you have unintentionally downloaded. this may be a reason for the search page you keep getting.
    5. get an anti virus. no comment here.
    6. I agree with irongeek: use mozilla.

I recommend that you don't even touch Hijack This! as it doesn't sound like you would understand it's results. It's a dangerous tool to reccommend to someone who doesn't really know what they are doing.

Just Another Geek
    I agree with Soda. HijackThis can be a dangerous tool if you don't know what you're doing.

On the other hand you can use HijackThis, create a log and post it here.
    There's alot of people here that do know what to remove.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hey,
    I From what you said I think that it's a trojan/spyware....haha i've got TONS of them before i acutally cleaned them up. I Used this tool http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php
    I find it VERY easy to use, and they also clean trojans or basically everything that has something to do with your case, But to prevent things like this in the future, just run spysweeper, and run it in the background it'll detect if your homepage has changed or other such things like that. Another good program is Spybot Search and destroy this link... http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10....html?tag=prod
    that also detects things that get changed...and i also advise you to get some type of Anti-Virus

Hopes that helps
    -S3nate

Hoopy Frood
    Like everyone is recommending: get antivirus! It's very important! If you're not wanting to buy antivirus, try Grisoft's Free Antivirus. It's what I use, personally, and it seems to be very good and gets great reviews everywhere. You can get it here, it's called AVG. Here is a tutorial on basic internet security to help prevent what happened to you from happening again. Basic Internet Security Tutorial Check the Spyware section. If you're new to the internet or internet security you may want to read the whole thing. You'll probably fine it very useful.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

ZaberX

Is it a virus, a spyware or a trojan??
    Here's some info that may help you.

A TROJAN HORSE or more commonly called a “Trojan”, is a program that contains malicious code that is hidden within what would appear as a normal useful program. Trojans do not generally copy/replicate themselves though. Rather their damage is caused when the program is run. A common casualty is the erasing/formatting of ones hard disk. They may execute immediately upon downloading or sit idly until another event transpires. Such as: rebooting your computer or using another common program. This is usually accomplished by modifying the Registry or another Startup File.

VIRUS: Computer code that hitches a ride on real programs, documents, etc. Of itself, it can’t do any harm. It requires a host to survive and is transmitted from one unit to another. A computer virus duplicates itself by using the host’s programs and it usually carries a “payload” that causes some type of damage at a specified time.

WORM: A worm differs from a virus in that the worm does not require a host (program or document, etc.) to infect a computer. It is a self-contained, self-compiling program that copies itself. It thrives in a computer network environment.

ADWARE: It is usually an additional program that is downloaded and installed concurrently with a freeware or shareware program or after visiting a web site. In some predetermined manner differing ads will appear and disappear. This annoyance is really bothersome if the ads continue to pop-up when you are not running that particular program any longer.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I had the same problem as you (as far as my home page being changed to a site that i did not want). In my case, the problem was related to spyware. I obtained a great spyware removal program called SpySweeper which was produced by Webroot. It has a great function that detects when your homepage is being changed. A window will come up saying that your homepage has been changed and asks it that is ok. You can also set it so that your homepage is protected and can only be changed through the program. I have had no problems with spyware or popups of any kind since installing this program. If you would like to get a copy of SpySweeper you can pick one up for under $30.