Thread: screensaver program passwords not secure

screensaver program passwords not secure

I'm using a screen-saver program that has the option of password protection. (So you have to type in the password to remove the screen saver). I've been using it for awhile and it's cool b/c I can bring up the screen saver on command and bang, instant security, right? Wrong, I was having trouble with my keyboard and I couldn't type in the password so I was about to restart when I noticed if I hit the "windows" key (yes, I'm using Windows - which is usually part of the problem with security...) it would bring up the start menu. If I tried to move to click on anything the screen saver took back over. When I hit ctrl+alt+del of course it brought up the task manager and I was able to click on stuff so I just clicked on the screen saver program and clicked "end task" and voiala - I had access to my computer. This is just a heads up for anyone who uses or is considering using something similar. It's not secure *at all*. (Btw, I was using "webshots" in case anyone is curious). Sorry if this is something everybody already knew about...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which Windows out of curiosity? And might I suggest, if it's XP, trying the "Windows Key"+L to lock the screen rather than depending on the screen saver.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Lol, it is XP. I just liked all the pictures in the screen saver... :\ Oh well, security takes priority over a bunch of pretty pictures anyday. Thanks MsM!

Well, the sceensaver will come on afterwards. I know because I use this method and come back to Star Trek Enterprise shots.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Regal Making Handler
    With xp you can set a screen saver and password protect from within the display properties. You can also set a time inactive limit that will lock the pc automaticaly. You may even be able to use the screen saver from the third party app you have been using.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I knew about those jinxy, that's what most people usually use. I also found that it's irrelevant if you have an administrator account that's not pw protected ;D MsM - out of pure curiousity - what screen saver do you use? It sounds awesome.

LOL.. ummm.. the default MS screensaver. It can rotate pictures you get and save in a folder. So I grabbed some desktop shots on ST:Ent, put them into My Pictures and viola! My own screensaver.