Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racial Profiling or Protecting our Country - Which is More Important?

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3

Racial Profiling or Protecting our Country - Which is More Important?

The lengths that our politicians go to in order to not (God forbid) hurt another race's feelings will be the end of the United States. I highly recommend you read this story - all three parts! It will scare the sh*t out of you.

Terror in the Skies, Again? Parts I, II, & III

Terror in the Skies, Again?

By Annie Jacobsen

A WWS Exclusive Article

Note from the E-ditors: You are about to read an account of what happened during a domestic flight that one of our writers, Annie Jacobsen, took from Detroit to Los Angeles. The WWS Editorial Team debated long and hard about how to handle this information and ultimately we decided it was something that should be shared. What does it have to do with finances? Nothing, and everything. Here is Annie's story.

On June 29, 2004, at 12:28 p.m., I flew on Northwest Airlines flight #327 from Detroit to Los Angeles with my husband and our young son. Also on our flight were 14 Middle Eastern men between the ages of approximately 20 and 50 years old. What I experienced during that flight has caused me to question whether the United States of America can realistically uphold the civil liberties of every individual, even non-citizens, and protect its citizens from terrorist threats.

....Then another man from the group stood up and took something from his carry-on in the overhead bin. It was about a foot long and was rolled in cloth. He headed toward the back of the cabin with the object. Five minutes later, several more of the Middle Eastern men began using the forward lavatory consecutively. In the back, several of the men stood up and used the back lavatory consecutively as well.

For the next hour, the men congregated in groups of two and three at the back of the plane for varying periods of time. Meanwhile, in the first class cabin, just a foot or so from the cockpit door, the man with the dark suit - still wearing sunglasses - was also standing. Not one of the flight crew members suggested that any of these men take their seats.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    On September 21, as the remains of thousands of Americans lay smoldering at Ground Zero,
    [Secretary of Transportation Norman] Mineta fired off a letter to all U.S. airlines forbidding them from implementing the one security measure that could have prevented 9/11: subjecting Middle Eastern passengers to an added degree of pre-flight scrutiny. He sternly reminded the airlines that it was illegal to discriminate against passengers based on their race, color, national or ethnic origin or religion.
    Jeez, this is SCARY reading.
    America's greatest strength, is also her greatest weakness..............FREEDOM.

It is something worthy of fighting for, but, unfortunateley, bureaucracy will strangle your country, even quicker than it is sufocating ours (UK)

I got the following, I cannot remember where from. Please don't think I am making fun of a serious situation, it just sums up your problem.

Profiling
    To ensure we Americans never offend anyone - particularly fanatics intent on killing us - airport screeners will not be allowed to profile people. They will continue random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots with proper identification, Secret Service agents who are members of the President's security detail and 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips.
    Let's pause a moment and take the following test.

In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:

(a) Norwegians from Ballard
    (b) Elvis
    (c) A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
    (d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:

(a) A pizza delivery boy
    (b) Crazed feminists complaining that being able to throw a grenade beyond its own burst radius was an unfair and sexist requirement in basic training
    (c) Geraldo Rivera making up for a slow news day

In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:

(a) Luca Brazzi, for not being given a part in "Godfather 2"
    (b) The Tooth Fairy
    (c) Butch and Sundance who had a few sticks of dynamite left over from the train mission

In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:

(a) Mr. Rogers
    (b) Hillary, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems
    (c) The World Wrestling Federation to promote its next villain: "Mustapha the Merciless"

On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked and destroyed by:

(a) Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd
    (b) The Supreme Court of Florida trying to outdo their attempted hijacking of the 2000 Presidential election
    (c) Mr. Bean

Hmm... Nope, ain't no patterns here!
    And as a final reminder to those who complain that the extra security is taking too long.........

If your first name is Mohammed, and your surname AINT Ali.
    Then be prepared for some 'time wasting' security.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley

Please don't think I am making fun of a serious situation, it just sums up your problem.
    No offense taken. This is true...satire is often very effective in pointing out our shortcomings.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Regal Making Handler
    Something Margret Thatcher said.

All attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail. It must be business as usual

As the aim of terrorism is to terrorise. Give into fear and you will have lost the fight against terror. So business must be as normal.

Fighting terrorism is like being a goalkeeper. You can make a hundred brilliant saves but the only shot that people remember is the one that gets past you.
    --Paul Wilkinson (b. 1937) British scholar
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I agree that business should carry on as usual. However, do you not think it to be prudent to risk (sarcasm) hurting the feelings of a certain race as a precautionary measure that could save hundreds or thousands of lives?

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    However, do you not think it to be prudent to risk (sarcasm) hurting the feelings of a certain race as a precautionary measure that could save hundreds or thousands of lives?
    Hrmm... so what about gays and drug users who carry AIDS?

What about bad parents that will kill their kids or abuse their partners?

What about the Chinese with the nuclear bomb (or any other nation with a nuclear bomb)?

What about local militias (or was Oklahama just a blip that everyone "jus' plump forgit")?

While people are looking at those of Middle Eastern decent, others are coming in the back door. Rather than targetting one race, why not just be paranoid about everyone? IIRC, one member of the Taliban (?) was a white american (what was his name again?)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Regal Making Handler
    Yes but where do you draw the line?
    Also, it is not what you know and see, that represents a danger. It is what you do not know and see.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Hrmm... so what about gays and drug users who carry AIDS?

What about bad parents that will kill their kids or abuse their partners?

What about the Chinese with the nuclear bomb (or any other nation with a nuclear bomb)?

What about local militias (or was Oklahama just a blip that everyone "jus' plump forgit")?

While people are looking at those of Middle Eastern decent, others are coming in the back door. Rather than targetting one race, why not just be paranoid about everyone? IIRC, one member of the Taliban (?) was a white american (what was his name again?)
    Gays, drug users, bad parents, nations with nuclear bombs: these are not groups who have a history of boarding planes and taking out US targets and people.

Local militias? Yes, they are profiled. However, because they are typically white....you don't see the government pissing itself if they complain. In addition, they aren't backed by radical minority protection groups and those of that ilk.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I'm sure that Japanese interrment camps started off as a fairly innocuous idea to preserve America's safety as well. The point of being American is the fact that our citizens are free to live their lives. ALL of our citizens.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

In this case (and many others like it) these Muslims were not citizens. Furthermore, they had expired visa.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery