Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Java, C ++, or other language?

AFLAAACKKK!!

Java, C ++, or other language?

I have been learning C++ lately and have enjoyed it, but is C++ a little outdated? Should I learn something more recent like Java? Or another language? I hoping to be able to do OOP. I'm aiming to become a game developer or something...maybe. I have heard to get opengl and start programming in a language like C++. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I have to say go with C++, it's a nice language, I personally hate the damn thing, and love C. but C++ isn't outdated IMHO.

Now, if your looking for a real language go to perl. mwuahahahaha

It depends on what you really want to do, I mean you can do game programming in Java or C++.

You can also do it in perl.

Just depends, I say go with C++. It will make learning Java easier.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    C++ is hardly what I would call dated, most commercial apps are written in it and most OSes are written in either C or C++. Good thing to learn, but it can be a pain in the as to program in.
    C is often described, with a mixture of fondness and disdain varying according to the speaker, as "a language that combines all the elegance and power of assembly language with all the readability and maintainability of assembly language." (MIT Jargon Dictionary)

Whatever language you choose, stick with it.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I would recommend sticking with C++ for OOP. Once you learn one object-oriented language you can easily pick up Java. C++ is not outdated, though. I am curious to know why you are wondering if it may be outdated. Yes, there are newer languages such as C#, but each language has it's own unique qualities that make it useful for certain tasks.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

it depends on wat kind of programming your a planning to do...but for graphics c++ i god....if wanna learn opengl...you coulkd look for a the red book of open gl..and the reference manual...here is a list of book on opengl....and go ahead with c++...you'll learn to leve with aaaaaaall the memory problems with pointers..and all the incosntenecs in the languaje....no metioning uncompatibility

books:
    OpenGL reference manual

-OpenGL programming guide : the official guide to learning openGL, version 1.2, openGL architecture review board
    3rd ed.Woo, Mason

-3-D graphics programming with OpenGL
    This is jus great...they explain you how to use an interface called glut and also explain allllll the math behind building 3d scenes...

and go ahead...if you wanna program games..there's a looong way....

don't fall!
    we work in the dark - we give what we have - we do what what we can - our doubt`s our passion - our passion our task - the rest....- is the madness of art.

Learn both C++ and Java if you have the time. If I had to choose, I'd go with C++ though. It's widely used and hardly outdated. Confusing as heck, but worth your while.

an also if you learn c++ first it would be easier to migrate and learn java...later....

but first the first!
    we work in the dark - we give what we have - we do what what we can - our doubt`s our passion - our passion our task - the rest....- is the madness of art.

I have to agree with Quad whatever language you pick make sure that you stick with it. I will be honest for your OOP, I would recommend you pick up perl for like a week. For some reason, much like everything else. Perl makes learning OOP easy. Though C++ is the way to go also. I just don't really like C++, for many reasons.

I personally wonder why the Devolpers of C++ didn't do what, the perl devolopers did to Perl, and just add OOP to C. I think that would of been so much better.

I have yet to mess with Perl...What do you like about it over C++?