Win XP restrictions (guest account options)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win XP restrictions (guest account options)

Win XP restrictions (guest account options)

I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer, I just activated the guest account and I'd like to know if it is possible to restrict the guest account from using some programs, and if it would be possible by way of options or scripts to display a message when you log on to guest account that says that "you have to save your documents on diskettes, because they will be deleted at log off" and I want to know if it is possible to make this option work or script to make the documents delete. If so what do I need to do? (Running under FAT32 -> will change if need be, I know how to do it). If possible, for the rest, I would need some guidance.

Thanks in advance for any response you may give me.
    Sincerely,
    Steve Demers

Hi there Irongeek, I'm actually taking a look at the info you gave me (understand that I'm quite a newbie at this stuff) the help is very much appreciated. Do you mean that all of what I've asked for can be done within the gpedit.msc ?? If so, thanks a lot, and if I need help with some of the options there may I ask for some more help?
    ---------
    [edit]
    sorry I forgot to ask do I need to change my FAT32 to NTFS?
    [/edit]

Thanks in advance for any response you may give me.
    Sincerely,
    Steve Demers

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    The message part will have to be done a little different. Just post any other questions you have in this thread.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    It's a good idea to use NTFS for other reasons, but I'm pretty sure Software Restriction Policies will work fine on a Fat32 drive.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Couldn't you make a batch file to do a netsend to that computer? You can make the batch file and put it in the start up folder or somethign... I don't know, it's just an idea for a poor man's way of doing what he wanted with the message part lol.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Yep, you could do a netsend command but some institutions (like my university) disable the messenger service because they keep getting “netsend spam” for penis enlargement services.

Regal Making Handler
    You can send a message to the guest account through the task manager also.
    Microsoft technet has a large script repository with sample scripts. If you take a look you should get some inspiration from them.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

For the login message.. Just create and assign a login script to the guest account that displays text that is echoed from a batch file. Just put a pause at the end of the batch file and the screen will sit there until a key is pressed. No need to use netsend or anything like that.

As far as using fat32 or NTFS. If you are going to restrict write/read access on the system you will have to use NTFS as you do not have any type of security restrictions in FAT32. Then you just need to setup your file system permissions correctly so that the account only has write access to a limited number of directories. Then you can use a logoff script that will delete everything that is in those directories.

Hi there mohaughn, thanks for the info you have given me, I would like to do what you proposed, but since I am new at this I don't exactly know (what is) or how to do a batch file. Sorry about that, could you or anyone please explain me what it is and how to do one?

Thanks in advance for any help you might give me.
    Sincerely,
    Steve Demers