Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need a strong virus scan....

Cool i need a strong virus scan....

I need a strong virus scan, not even a "in use" session can stop it. Sometimes when I scan slaved harddrives or external drives through USB or firewire, Norton 2004 tells me it cannot delete because the file is in use. Is there a virus scan outthere that will ignore the "in use" warning and delete the file? Let me folks... Thanks...

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Not that I'm aware of, how about doing the control alt delete trick and terminate the process? Then try to delete it.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Depending on the O.S. you are running, you need to create a "rescue disk" and boot from that and do a full scan. I don't use Norton for various reasons, and if it doesn't give the ability to create a rescue disk I just found yet another reason not to use it. You can always get a copy of McAfee, Kapsersky, Panda, etc. etc. and use it on another machine to create a rescue disk to use on the infected machine.

Hope that helps.

peace.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'm not much of a Norton fan but no matter what AV you choose, running it in safe mode is generally a good idea as the virus (or trojan) most likely won't be active.. same goes for trojan and spyware scanners imho..

see the thing is. the files are not being used in a process. Looks like when Norton scans the drives it puts the files "in use" and marks them as if WinXP is using the files. hmmmm?? I rather try to stay away from safemode or bootdisks. Any more ideas? Hey how good is FSecure.. or sophos...

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Using things like safe mode isn't gonna damage things, your going to have to eventually go into safe mode. If your not willing to do these things, then there is really nothing we can do to help you. There is no AV software that I know of that will do what you wanting it to do
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I tell you what, go to www.trendmicro.com and choose housecall, when that doesn't work google for every other online scanner ther is and try those, when they don't work make the bootdisks and clean the virus out.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I don't use a virus scanner for many reasons. But if I was to go with one, it would be PCcillin. Here is a reference guide to choose your scanner. Link
    American Air Force = Best in the world

From what i know i am not sure why it is not getting it.
    But have you tried any other virus program.
    or ending the proccess.
    and then retry it again.
    i am sure you have rebooted and retried?
    that ends prccesses, unused ones anyway.

if you know the name of the virus, u can try going here and searching for it, along with a removal tool