Thread: Member Spotlight

Member Spotlight

In our "What's Right With AO" thread, Syini made this comment:

Another thing that I do think is right is the pool of brains to squeeze a bit of useful information out of; the problem I think that prevents that is a overall lack of direction and organization.
    And that gave me an idea...Indeed, we have some super brains that only those of us "in the know" realize are here and available. So, why don't we set up a "Member Spotlight" on the front page that either weekly or monthly features a link to material posted (particularly good tutorials) by one of the great minds of AO. Heck, I think we have enough to where we could do it weekly. A TigerShark tutorial one week...TheHorse13 the next...An AcidRain tech support story the next...etc.

This would help point out to our newbies who the best people are to shoot questions at, and who the best are to learn from. For those always complaining that "back in the day" we had the real "masters" here, this would promptly silence them by showing who here does indeed know their stuff, and how many of them there really are.

Most importantly though, I think it would be good for those just getting acquainted with AO. It does take a while to figure out who's who, and this would help considerably, I think.

Banned
    I think we did this before but it started with MsMittens I think then the idea just faded.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    That was JP that had done it before. JUPM hasn't. Might be worthwhile to re-consider reviving. It will mean that some members might need to make a little "blurb" about themselves or something along those lines.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Might be worth a shot so.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I think "Member Spotlight" is a good idea. I sent Intmon a message last week indicating something like this where the member in the spotlight would receive a free item from the AO store. Just as a way to promote worthwhile contribution through positive reinforcement.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I sent Intmon a message last week indicating something like this where the member in the spotlight would receive a free item from the AO store. Just as a way to promote worthwhile contribution through positive reinforcement.
    This sound's like a good idea. Have a monthly "Member Spotlight" and like you indicated, have that member recieve something from the store. Good thinking btw mathgirl and nice idea Angelic. This type of thing would make member's contribute more to the site (or make them contribute positive and knowledgable thing's).
    Space For Rent.. =]

This would be a kwel thing to happen me thinks...
    I remember seeing one of the old setup's of the front page were JP had it set up..
    And it would encourage members to contribute more positive information etc..
    And the idea of a freebie from the store sounds good as well..

I think it's a great idea, if we do this I nominate IronGeek as the first member in spotlight. Shitload of awesome stuff from one man in like 2 weeks. Plus he is still considered a noob by post count standards, so noobs will look up to him more. Perhaps we could have a poll in addicts to nominate people into spotlight? If it's in addicts it would keep people from making accounts to vote for themselves. (greedy bastards)
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.