Are violent games adding to violence in children/society?

View Poll Results: How are your attitudes to the Iraqi Election

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was against the policy, I didn't think the election would work and I think it was a failure.

2 14.29%
  • I was against the policy, I didn't think the election would work but I think it was something of a success.

2 14.29%
  • I was against the policy, I didn't think the election would work but I think it was a resounding success.

0 0%
  • I was against the policy, I thought the election might work but it was a failure.

0 0%
  • I was against the policy, I thought the election might work but it was something of a success.

1 7.14%
  • I was against the policy, I thought the election might work but it was a resounding succuess.

0 0%
  • I was for the policy, I thought the election might work but it was a failure.

0 0%
  • I was for the policy, I thought the election might work but it was something of a success.

2 14.29%
  • I was for the policy, I thought the election might work but it was a resounding success.

1 7.14%
  • This whole historical event, with expected "wrinkles" has gone well, as I expected it to

6 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are violent games adding to violence in children/society?

Are violent games adding to violence in children/society?

This is one of my biggest "pet peeves" who in the world came up with the poposterous idea that a game or listening to a song can "make" you commit violent acts or suicide? What is everyones stance on this.

This was just brought forward in my mind again by this article:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/29/dixons_manhunt/
    In which someone was murdered by an individual supposedly because of the game manhunt.
    I think that is totally absurd and is just another 'excuse' for this kids actions so he'll get off with a mental plea or a like.

-_LeeBkr_-

Sick kids are sick kids, they don't need music or video games or anything else to go off. The one thing you can draw similarities between with all these kids is that their parents didn't pay attention enough to their problems. They probably all let the T.V. or computer be the babysitter. Now why these people are even allowed to procreate is beyond me but what are you going to do?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Do you believe it's a valid 'reason' or 'motive'? or just another 'excuse'. You said no but kind of infered that the TV/Computer was the babysitter. Do you see that as a cause?

i just love games with violence (with a lot of blood, better) and same kind of movies too and i cant consider myself as a "violent" guy. As my children. that like the same stuff.

I think there is no relevance for "regular" ppl. We know the diference between:

"Fantasy" AND "Real Life"
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I vote yes b/c video games do have an effect on some kids - but the effects vary. There are violent games like "hitman" for example where for each person you kill, your score goes *down*. Also - when I was growing up there was this one kid that really would get violent when he played violent games. He and I got in fights just b/c he'd get riled up by the games... I never reacted like that, but they do have an effect. *However* - no videogame in the world can cause a kid to pull out a gun and blast his friends in the face at school. There would have to be some extreme problems with that kid, in which case he/she would probably gravitate toward more violent games anyway...

I voted "no" but I think there are extreme exceptions where they might have a factor. However, regardless of the case, it comes down to do parents know what their kids are playing? They should. You can't blame violence on games. I grew up on video games, and I'm one of the most peaceful people you'll ever run into (and I do like violent video games!).

The only games I'm vehemently opposed to are the Grand Theft Auto games, which is hard for me to oppose because game-wise, it's a genius work, but content-wise, it's a piece of crap. It's too realistic. Any game that has you shooting cops for kicks and taking prostitutes in your car has crossed the line and is a little too realistic for my tastes. I don't understand how that can be fun (heh heh, so play True Crime instead! Much better game! ). But even in that case, I can't blame those games for violent behavior, because again, parents should be watching what their kids play. As for adults -- well let's hope that surely, by then, they're old enough not to be influenced by a video game!

My thoughts, for what they're worth...

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Who cares, apart from child psychologists, social workers, probation officers etc, etc, etc. There will always be the so called "professionals"who have a vested interest in looking for a reason or some explanation for violence in society. Violence exists, some people do not require a reason,to perpetrate some form of violence against another person. At some time or another, TV , videos, has been attributed to causing violent behaviour in kids. Now games.
    I say beat the **** out of kids, give them some real violence.
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I blame the parents. Don't even dare argue.

And Canada.

100% agreement, jm. It seems our society is trying to get away from the concept of responsibilty over one's own actions. We blame video games, TV...canada... What really got me was what I heard on the radio the other day -- "scientists" discovered in a recent study that bad behavior can be caused by genetics. So nothing is anyone's fault anymore! Woo-hoo!

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    I blame the parents. Don't even dare argue.
    Which one?

The Canadian one?
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)