Question on OS's + laptops

Thread: Question on OS's + laptops

Question on OS's + laptops

Ok ok,

This might seem noobish but I really could careless...

I'd like to put a linux parition on my laptop... however I am clueless on how you do it and what the best software out there is for the task. There' sso much stuff on the net for this but I was wondering if I could get some recommendations first.

Thanks all,

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Just the same as you would on a desktop. Laptops aren't unique beyond being portable. They have normal hardrivs and OS installation just like their big brothers. So just pop in your installation CD and go!

Just for clarity though -- When you say adding a Linux partition, do you mean just an OS install, or are you trying to set up a dual-boot Windows/Linux machine?

if you dont want it to be dual boot you might also want to look into something like vmware.
    http://www.vmware.com/download/
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Well it's not really a question of whether or not I can 'dual-boot.' I already do that on my other machine with Windows XP / Red Hat 6.0. I was mainly wondering if there was a a way that I can boot into any Linux OS within my windows one. I've heard of this being done before and was a little curious about it. Sorry for not being as clear in my first post.

Also, if this is a possiblility then what would be the best OS do you think for the 'beginner.' I've worked with Red Hat a little bit but still somethings seem way over my head.

My main gripe is this, I want to run Linux software on my computer. I also want to learn a lot about it as well. However, I don't want to go through the hassle of rebooting my computer everytime I want to switch to an application or OS. If there is a way to accompish this then please, I would appreciate anyones help.

Thanks again!
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    However, I don't want to go through the hassle of rebooting my computer everytime I want to switch to an application or OS. If there is a way to accompish this then please,
    Well, in that case.... take the advice from spyrus and try vmware... only problem with that is that its freaky expensive. I tried vmware and its a truly astonishing piece of software.

Another solution, but not for running both at the same time, would be to setup SuSE linux, on installation it offers the possibility to resize your current win partition and make room for the linux system. You can then use 'dual-boot'. In addition, SuSE is an excellent linux distro for beginners and advanced users. It has terrific hardware support... since your planning on using it on a laptop. On my Sony Vaio laptop, it acutally regognizes and uses my internal win modem.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Yea, I just got done reading up a bit on what Spyrus had posted. The tool looked fantastic and seemed to be just what I was looking for. But of course, as you mentioned, at $199 it is a bit expensive... least to me .

Is the a free VMware out there that anybody knows of? Would that ever be nice...

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hmm, i was actually reffering to the VMWare GSX server (bout 1500 - 2000 $)

I have not heard of any cheaper/free alternatives unfortunately.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"