Thread: Singapore holds computer hacking contest

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Singapore holds computer hacking contest

Basically this sounds like a legalized wargame. But what a cheesy first prize! I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Anyone going?

Source: Canoe

SINGAPORE (AP) - Singapore is organizing a contest to find the tech-savvy city-state's best computer hacker.

Six pairs will compete in the Aug. 20 BlackOPS: HackAttack Challenge 2004, organized by the government-funded National Infocomm Competency Center, its marketing manager Yvonne Choo said.

They will "penetrate, exploit, gain access and obtain privileged information from the other teams' servers, for the purpose of corporate espionage," the centre said on its Web site Tuesday.

Teams will also have to defend their organization's networks against hacking from other teams in the daylong event, it added.

Choo said he hoped the contest would help shed light on ways to prevent actual computer attacks.

The prize for the best hacker will be a DVD burner and free computer classes.

Asia has been the root of some of the worst attacks by hackers in recent years.

In May 2000, the so-called Love Bug virus, released in the Philippines, overwhelmed e-mail systems worldwide and caused tens of millions of dollars in damage.

Close to 80 per cent of Singapore's 4 million citizens own personal computers and the island is largely considered to be the most technologically advanced in Southeast Asia.

Hackers can be jailed for up to three years or fined up to the euivalent of $132,000 (US$5,810) under the city-state's Computer Misuse Act.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

lol computer classes for the winner of the hacking contest, shouldnt that go to the loser? sounds kind of cool, also sounds like a sting, but then again I am usually a highly paranoid person.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

a dvd burner and computer classes??.. are they kidding, surely won't attract lots of hackers around the region.. flights from any country near to singapore might cost more than a dvd burner and few classes
    i don't think it is really serious hacking contest, maybe it is just for fun..

a dvd burner and computer classes??.. are they kidding, surely won't attract lots of hackers around the region.. flights from any country near to singapore might cost more than a dvd burner and few classes
    i don't think it is really serious hacking contest, maybe it is just for fun..
    If they're true hackers, its not about how much the prize costs, and what it is. Its about pride of being the best. A sense of achievement is far more important that a DVD burner and those classes.

While the prize maybe cheesy it will attract some people that really want it for bragging rights and for their ugly mug to be put in the local paper and on the internet if they do that over there, but on the other hand knowing this
    Hackers can be jailed for up to three years or fined up to the euivalent of $132,000 (US$5,810) under the city-state's Computer Misuse Act.
    will indeed turn other people from taking part or being involved in it.

sounds like a military strategy to me.... Or even some form of a governmental thing. I am not sure which to believe but it also sounds like it could be some fun. And the winner gets a one year job contract with the national defense team.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

i agree with what u said bout sense of achivement.. but what i meant is about the cost of being in da contest.. rather than going to do some hacking in s'pore, i rather use the flight cost to buy my own dvd writer and play some online wargames.. not including cost of staying there and foods to consume..

dvd burner & computer classes? for me, it not even to close to value the best hacker skills.. it is also funded by singapore government funded agency, surely they can give more.. for that price, i still think it is for fun..

singapore locally will come, but i am not sure many wll come from da region.. too costly for average peoples here..

rather than going to do some hacking in s'pore, i rather use the flight cost to buy my own dvd writer and play some online wargames.. not including cost of staying there and foods to consume..
    I'd go to s'pore for shopping... is the singapore great sale still on?
    But yes i'd rather use the flight cost to buy my own dvd burner also... (although the flight cost from where I live to s'pore is decreasing).

fined up to the euivalent of $132,000 (US$5,810) under the city-state's Computer Misuse Act.
    I believe it should be either $132,000 (US$58,100) or $13,200 (US$5,810). S$1 ~ US$ 0.5. Any singaporean?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

I believe it should be either $132,000 (US$58,100) or $13,200 (US$5,810). S$1 ~ US$ 0.5. Any singaporean?
    i didn't saw that, u r rite..