Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Shutdown - Suspect Malware

overheat? does your motherboard has cpu overheat protection? wen u use too much and you have a cooling problem (such as a fan malfunction) your system use to show those symptoms..

just to add confusion..
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Just finished a series of HDD tests.. HDD regen being run once.. the Maxtor Diag tool on 2 tests..

Run a The McAfee AV tools useing the Bart PE enviroment.. (that is the command line tool and the stinger) found more of the Adware..oh and a run of Adaware

Did a check of the SMART info.. and no outstanding info.. The HDD is a MAxtor..

Monitored the PSU during one of the events 12V was on 11.95-8V and the 5V was 5.15V until the shut-off

Currently running the Memory test.. MEMTEST.. 9 passes and clear so far..

Todday I have had a change in symptoms.. the machine will pass the Spybot scan 2 out of 5 attempts .. COLD or HOT.. my goodness the HDD was sitting on 25deg celcius on one fail and 45deg on another .. and worked with the hdd at 55 and 20.. temp? .. nah

memory? perhaps, hdd electronics ..perhaps,.. psu..dunno.. BIOS.. maybe..(not cleared the CMOS yet).. BTW room temp at the moment 10degs celcius..

I'm off to bed.. the heater aint working..

BTW: spyware found thus far
    180 Solutions
    Bargain Buddy
    BlazeFinds/Media
    VX2
    WhenU
    ClickSpring
    Claria

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well, I've done a bit of troubleshooting in my time and problems like these sometimes do require somewhat drastic measures to eliminate what it's not. For this particular situation, this is what I'd do. I'd yank the mobo (with that cpu and whatever memory) out and hook it up to another power supply right on the bench. Your choice whether to include the original video card or throw in some other one.. Put in no other cards (like NIC, modem or sound) Get a fresh HDD and install an OS and run it thru it's paces with a few benchmarking programs like Sisoft Sandra, PCMark04, prime95.. or run folding@home or some intensive games.. If all seems well, start putting things back to what they were bit by bit.. if it fails soon of course you'll have a better idea about what the problem might be..

Sounds to me like you'll need to take this box home with you.. can you come up with a temporary box for this user to use in the meantime ?

If I were to just wager a guess, I'd say.. PSU, or mobo itself is at fault and not anything software or HDD related.

best of luck..

Und3ertak3r you might check your config (msconfig) for a start up item 'dumpprep 0 -k'. I have had to remove this item because it had gotten stuck in the configuration after a system failure.

This sounds like what happened to me last fall and I ended up needing a new hard drive. My fan wasnt working properly and caused a melt down of the drive. Got a new HD and fan works like new again. All the weird shutdowns programs only part working sounds just like mine.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

TEsted system with New HDD: Imaged the Installation across from the friends HDD.

Fault continued:

Tested with NEW RAM: Fault continued

Tested with known Good HDD: Fault Continued:

Please note If I hear Sasser or Blaster I will scream: This is not a admin shut down
    Heat related..?? could be.. BUT problem will occure when Cold and when system warm:
    also note: Room temp today is 15deg Celcius:
    to get the fault to appear 9 times out of ten All i need to do is get Spybot to do a scann: but it will happen during The Cleaner scanns 3 out of 4, and NAV scans 1 in 3: and adaware 1 in 5:
    Now will this happen when I used BARTPE enviroment: NEVER not once: but I don't have a PE version of Spybot.. but the 10 runs of Adaware never failed.. but then I could only do a c: drive scann of its files it can't scan the original registry..

I am about to do a clean install on the test HDD and install NAV 2004 and Spybot.. and see the results:
    the only thing left is the CPU and the MObo.. modem and CDROM are disconnected..

Oh.. Clean CMOS?.... still faults..
    remove NAV.............. still faults..

Just starting the clean install (pity this isn't one that I sell.. I would have a Image CD for it.)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Regal Making Handler
    As it shuts down during scans, this could indecate a heat problem with the processor. Scans are pretty intensive on processor. I would look into make sure the heatsink is mounted correctly and seated on the proper paiste (i have seen one fixed with clear silicon) realy. See if it is overly covered with dust, a quick plast of air may help.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

If MsM or Neg want to .. this thread now belongs in the Hardware section..

overheat? does your motherboard has cpu overheat protection?
    Well You were correct cacosapo.and jinxy...helplesslyhopin was close... but this is the middle of winter.. and my darn room temp is below 15 degs celcius
    I kept checking the Heat sink temp.. Because of the design of the Back mother board mount I didnt have access to the rear of the CPU.. I re read your post and it made sence.. the motherboard sensors were telling me normal to cool all the time.. my measurements agreed with that..

Problem was .. I decalred the fault to be motherboard/cpu after the clean install.. made it through the install but died when I did a spybot scan.... the not every time after the external clean made me more suspicious..

So I was pulling the machine apart to try sub parts to narrow the problem down..
    one end of the Plastic frame cpu-hsf holder on the motherboard seemed"lose".. after removing the Heatsink and fan.. the cpu showed the clasic signs of poor heatsink contact.. dust on the CPU for over half its length.. and a stain on the good contact end...

2 of the retainer pins were broken.. as a temp job a couple of insulators and screws have been pressed into service to hold this plastic panel on the board..

Fired up the machine.. survived one spybot only scan.. now doing a spybot, sdaware, The Cleaner, NAV, oh and a defrag .. cpu is not getting below 90% use.. and the temp is upto 39 deg cel.. which was around the 22 to 27 before.. see it is cold so I didnt realy worry about the low temp..

So those who wer commenting TEMP TEMP.. you were right.. my excuse for saying you were wrong.. I am rugged up like an eskimo.. I would have followed through had it been summer and our normal 42 in the shade (that temp is celcius to all the Farenhiet dwellers).. ..

never had a problem with these brackets before.. so it would be interesting how these things will last..

Cheers.. and thanks to all that participated

and just for the exercise.. an image of the area in question..

Hi Undies,

My cousin (the physics professor) bought me a "Raytek MiniTemp" for Christmas..............laser guided spot temperature meter...............no idea what they cost but the damn thing has already saved about $800(AUS) in components, by showing up problems. I would strongly recommend that you invest in one mate!

He is over here for a holiday and has brought me a digital wireless thermometer...........it's 24.7 on my desktop and 17.7 out in the garden amongst my wife's lillies

Anyone going to write a tut on wardriving digital thermometers?

Cheers