Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adware = Evil!

Adware = Evil!

Ever since Microsoft has been going against spammers, and many organizations putting jail on them, why don't they go against people for creating aware. Maby I have not hear of it yet, but I think adware are worse then viruses. About last week, I had a res:// thing in my internet explorer linking me to this search site every time. Pissed me off. Well, I would like some peoples input if Adaware should be banned. Or if it could be banned. Thanks.
    American Air Force = Best in the world

It's the american Government. Took em 3 damned years to even recognize the EXISTINCE of spam, let alone think about a law. It took 5 for that. So it'll be a while, you just wait and see.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

So you would rather have a virus destroy your hard driver, then spyware change ur homepage ?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Originally posted here by Enkrypt This
    So you would rather have a virus destroy your hard driver, then spyware change ur homepage ?
    Spyware/adware is a lot harder to defend against then most virii and trojans, IMO.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Also most viruses don't destroy your hard drive. Most viruses can be gotten rid of by stopping a process, deleteing a file, and deleting a reg key, and POSSIBLY updating windows. Spyware is MUCH more complicated with polymorphic DLL files that move and change names with random numbers and install thing in the weirdest places.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I was just saying that viruses can cause a lot more damage ! (Sometimes)

I mean, everything is easy to get rid of if you know how, download some anti spyware programs, etc...keep updating them and run them, just like an AV. You should be fine ! I dont think spyware can be stopped ! Even highly trusted websites sometimes use spyware to get information etc.

I hafta agree.

Adware (at best) is really only annoying and like was mentioned can only change your home page or have pop-up's. Now sure that can be annoying but I would rather have that then a virus that could/would eliminate and/or destroy my system's data. And IMO adware isn't THAT hard to get rid of. Ad-Aware hasn't failed me yet and if you take simple precaution's then you eliminate your chances of getting any form of spyware. Viruses on the other hand might require you to get a good A/V (possibly spend money on it) keep definition's up to date, keep the version up to date, etc etc.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I was just saying that viruses can cause a lot more damage ! (Sometimes)
    Hmmm .. sort of.. But in definition as i understand a Virus has the goal of spreading/replicating
    adware is either Installed with software or directly (from a website)

The harm done has nothing to do with if it is a virus, worm, trojan, parasite/adware, hijackware etc.. There has been many an occasion where known "legit"software has wrecked ppls OS.. or even destroyed hardware ..

An in saying all that how about the Parasiteware/Adware that IS a "Modified" Trojan ..

80% of my repair work is repairing the damage from the harmless Adware/spyware ..
    now convert 2 to 3 people perday to Firefox just to reduce my work load.. The ID-ten-T factor prevents that number being higher..

Cheers

I wish that is all this crap did.. browser hijacking is only a small but growing group of "Adware".. Coolweb search is not so friendly.. and how about Blazemedia? .. Malware.. it is all malicious software.. its intent is not to assist the end user, the software has NO benifit to the end user what so ever.. and If they are decieved into installing this software (that is if they are informed in the firstplace) .. what difference is it then to being a virus? NONE..

"Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Good Day,

IMHO it's all about money:

Adware, Spam = making a dollar = people spending money and motivating the economy = votes.

Virus, trojan, etc. = taking the dollar = people spending money only on AV, etc = pissing off voters.

So if I was a politician....

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Also note:

Adware/Spyware might not damage your computer as a virus can, but don't forget that it can damage YOU much more than a virus might. Spyware such as trojans can be used to steal credit card information and other personally identifying information, resulting in identity theft. So with that in mind, which one is really worse?