cpu socket help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cpu socket help

cpu socket help

hi all, Is it possible to remove the cpu socket or do you have to relace the motherboard, I have burn marks in mine and the award winning tech support(dell) isn't helping, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess it would be possible to replace the whole socket but I definitely would not suggest it as there are millions of soder points beneath it. and it would be nearly impossible to do without messing something else up.

If you want a new socket your best bet is to get a new Motherboard.

Burn marks on the CPU socket won't really hurt anything, but you might wanna make sure that your heatsink has good contact with the CPU.

Are you overclocking or anything?
    =

Due to special conditions where to MB was manufactured, i dont believe that someone can strip it out and put another one.... and if someone can, the price to buy a new one will be sooo lower....
    if you have a high used pc (or older) you will see some "footprints" on it... its just the time, man.

are your computer presenting any anomalie?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

replying

no overclocking, the processor was put in backwards and bent some pins on it, but then I got looking at the socket whick is what the processor plugs into right? it it showed what looks like burnholes on it or even maybe broke processor pins.

Yes the socket is what the CPU plugs into.

Now there will be a ton of tiny holes on it though for the CPU pins.

DId dell put it in backwards or were playing around with it and then put it back in?
    If it was put in backwards, I don't think it would of ever really worked. You would of gotten some beeps at post.
    =

Nope, it definatley not possible to change the socket, it is connected to every thing else on the Mother Board, so you would have to replace all these connections too!

In the end you would be rebuilding the entire MoBo! Much much cheaper and eaiser to buy a new board!

Sounds like you need a new cpu and mo bo!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar

Re: replying

Originally posted here by david244us
    the processor was put in backwards and bent some pins on it, but then I got looking at the socket whick is what the processor plugs into right? it it showed what looks like burnholes on it or even maybe broke processor pins.

And GLASSES, don't forget your glasses

If you wish to remove the 'burn marks' there are aerosols that will remove the deposits AND evaporate, you don't touch the Mo/Bo. Just spray it on.............

Although I'm of the opinion that you have indeed effed your Mo/Bo AND CPU.

Learn from this at least, as it only gets MORE expensive the longer it goes on....
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

With how complex the socket is, I doubt anyone could change it. Many motherboards, or at least mine, is split into 6 or 7 layers of electronic components. If you happen to miss one of the layers when you put a new socket in, or basically create an open circuit, your computer won't work. And it would be a pain in the butt to figure out which of the up to 940 pins on the underside of the socket aren't touching the layers they are supposed to...

Your best bet is to replace the motherboard. And the processer doesn't sound like it is in spectacular shape either...

thanks for all the help ya'll, sounds like i'm better off getting a motherboard, looks like some pins broke off the processor into the socket lol. Sucks but now i need to get it up and running, any recomendations on a good mboard and processor setup. It's a dell 1.6 ghz in it now.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Head to town, find the nearest PC shop, start a conversation with one of the staff.

But first:
    Sort out your budget, check out what REALLY needs to go from the old kit.
    Get an idea on prices at various on-line stores.
    (I'm recommending a tete a tete at the shop so you get to take it away with you there and then, speed is of the essence.)
    Head for Spec-Savers, GET AN EYE TEST

Your question is too vague for anything but the most flimsy reply.

I would suggest getting the fastest CPU you can afford, and teaming it with a Mo/Bo that can take some upgrading / over clocking (so you don't run out of steam too quickly.)
    Match the RAM to you NEW system. Names aren't that important, get 512 MB min.
    Use Mo/Bo sound for now.
    original GPU still OK ? keep it.....

Next time: DON'T RUSH AT IT..........

Building a PC is like making love to a beautiful woman...........
    You want to plug your hardware into her socket before she decides that she really must go.
    BUT:
    Take your time and she may stick around........

Then you can Feck it up as often as you want, in your own good time
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone