Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cpu socket help

I'm not sure if Dell's computers (their power supplies) are compatible with other motherboards. And their cases might even be shaped differently than a regular motherboard. IE, you wouldn't be able to screw the new motherboard in quite right...

You might have to pretty much consider building a new computer, unless you can get a replacement motherboard and CPU that are the same as the ones you broke. You can get a pretty nice upgrade for around $500 if you know what to look for and can build it yourself without messing it up like you did to the parts above.

But at your computer store, if you want them to build it, prepare to have them recommend you over $700 in computer upgrades - when my ~$500 of upgrading would probably be more than you need anyways and "on par" (if not higher quality than) with their recommendations. I dunno, I am kind of a killer of local economies with my depending on reliable and cheap Internet sources -- and the way I point people to them I'd probaby go out of business if I decided to get into computer work and kept telling everyone where to get stuff cheap

BANNED
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Since its a Dell I think you will have to go to them directly for a new mobo because Dell makes machines that arent very friendly to people who like to upgrade them with aftermarket parts later.

Hmmm,

What sort (make/model) of Dell is it?

I find it hard to see how you can break the pins and do a reverse installation of a P4 processor that is supposed to be ZIF (zero insertion force).

At worst the MoBo and processor are trashed...............that leaves you with a box and a power supply...............not really worth the effort IMHO. You should be able to buy a new one for $50

You can recover the memory, 3.5" floppy. CD & DVD drives, the hard drives, keyboard, mouse and VDU screen. You might also be able to recover the sound, video and modem cards if they are not integrated into the motherboard.

You then need a new MoBo, case and power supply, and processor.............I am no expert on US prices, but I would guess that you are looking at around $200.

At least you will have a proper BIOS rather than the "castrated" versions that Dell ship

just my thoughts

thanks again all for the help, It's a custom made dell computer, i have 100 gig western digital and soundblaster live audio, p4 processor 1.6ghz, the socket is 478 pins, hate to buy things like new mobos when i get home to put it in it doesn't fit lol, I have 512 ram , so think i will try to find a compatible board and cpu instead of buying a whole computer like you say nihil. well off to work thanks again

My advise was always to keep away from Dell. I heard to many complaints about them.

Check out http://www.ebuyer.com/

They've got customer reviews on many products they sell. Often came in handy to me.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

All that our company uses is dells.

So far we have about 50 dells and have only had about 2 or 3 problems with them.
    =

BTW, Dell is considered one of the 1st class pc manufactures around the world.

They are Delll, IBM (and HP in the past)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Just Another Geek
    CPU backward?!?!? Did you turn it on? If you did you can be sure both the CPU and the mainboard are dead.

Call Dell and ask if your model can handle an ATX formfactor mainboard. If it's a regular ATX formfactor you should be able to fit any recent board in it.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dell and IBM are the best premade computers at the moment and in the last 3 years or so... I see TONS of problems with the walmart/staples HP's people get... It's horrid.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.