Problem connecting to a XP shares

Thread: Problem connecting to a XP shares

Problem connecting to a XP shares

I'm trying to a connect to a XP Home system from 2000 pro system... The XP box will give me prompt to put in a password for that sytem (no choice of user though) I just went through a reinstall of XP home from a HP recovery CD but I didn't put any pwd on that system. Also There are 2 users on XP which are both Admins and have no password...

What could be a problem?
    \"Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts... A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding...\"

When you say connect, what is it you are trying to do?

Do you mean something along the lines of sharing file/folders/printers or something like remote desktop?

Is NetBIOS enabled?

What firewall do you have?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

one thing you might try is loggin out of the 2000 box and loggin back in under a username thats on your XP home box then see if you can connect.

THers a Admin that pops up when you boot into safe mode, I'm not aware of another admin unless you added a account named admin.

Its usually a good idea to password protect your admin accounts.
    =

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I know in XP Pro you have to go into "Control Panel" then 'Admin Tools" then "Local Security Policy"->"Local Policies"->"Security Options" and se "Network Access: Sharing and Security Model for Local accounts" and set it to Classic to make it ask you for a usename and not just assume guest. I'm not sure if that works in XP Home, I've only ever used Pro.

Regal Making Handler
    The no passwords is the problem. Xp is protecting the system. You will have two Admin accounts on xp by default 1 will be the default admin account the second will be another admin account. You should have set an Administrator password during the install.

For the moment log into xp localy then go to control pannel>users Then change the account name to what ever. Assign a password.

Then reboot into safe mode as the Administrator. Then control pannel>users> and assign a password to this account. You will not be able to change the name of this account however.

You should now be able to log into xp from the 2000 pc using either of the accounts you have just set up on xp. Provided you are not still logged onto the account on xp.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I know for a fact that if you boot a XP machine in safe mode the "hidden" administrator account will be selectable at the log in screen. The problem is that this HP piece of **** won't go into safe mode. I keep hitting F5 and F8 and nothing.
    \"Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts... A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding...\"

Regal Making Handler
    I know for a fact that if you boot a XP machine in safe mode the "hidden" administrator account will be selectable at the log in screen. The problem is that this HP piece of **** won't go into safe mode. I keep hitting F5 and F8 and nothing.
    Then try F10 and if that does not work look on HP's web site, or phone there customer services.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry