file problem with linux?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: file problem with linux?

file problem with linux?

i used a linux boot disk on my computer and decided i'd try out the mp3 player that came with the distro, so i mounted my hard drive(windows xp, ntfs), went to my music folder and copied one of my mp3 files to the /home directory(the mp3 player wouldnt browse to /mnt/hda1 for some reason), and tried playing the file but it didnt work, it was like the file had been corrupted or something. i went out on google and downloaded some free mp3 of a news broadcast or something and it worked fine. anybody know what the problem is?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Piracy?

Just thought.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Phonedog911, are you talking about a live linux cd? Which one are you using? Some of them might not support or have limited support for ntfs.

i dont think it involves piracy. im using phlak and trying to copy files from my hard drive(winxp, ntfs) to my virtual hard drive. the same problem happens with images. i tried copying an image over to set as my background they dont work.

also, it doesnt work if i just try to open them straight off of the hard drive either. i thought other people might have had the same problem since dual booting linux and windows seems fairly common.

I have no problems playing mp3's or ogg's from my /mnt/media (vfat/fat32) nor my /mnt/hd (ntfs)

are there any error messages you get..

try (in a console) mpg123 /mnt/whatever/thefile.mp3

do you get anything errors there ??

also are there messages in /var/log/messages that could shed some light on your situation ??
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

maybe your codec is broke... or your distro doesn't support MP3 'out of the box'
    i know redhat (some version of) wouldn't support MP3 out of the box due to some legal technicality, you could download the appropriate file and install it to enable support

never heard of phlak (i assuming thats the linux u r using), you may want to try out knoppix, it'll just run directly from a CD and from what ive seen and heard it can read from NTFS volumes.
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Move thread to Operating Systems?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

phlak is based on knoppix, its a cd boot disk deal. it comes with an mp3 player, xffs or something. i know it works, cuz i downloaded some mp3 file of a news broadcast and it played it fine. when i try to copy one of my mp3's or image files off of my hard drive, the file copies to wherever i want, usually /home, but xffs tries to open it and i just hear nothing. there isnt an error message or anything either. the image files cant be read either

if i try to open an image file that i've copied over in this way with firebird, i get an error: "image is not readable".