Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: closing open ports at my web server

You have to remember you are not the only one whom has space on this server, maybe 100 others. Some many be FTP sites, therefore cannot close the ports.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Banned
    I was told from the support section that I should have full permission to change my sendmail configuration in any manner I wish.They dont know how to do that,but they asked me to let them know if I find a way,and advised me to back up my files before I do so.But since I havent started building my website yet i dont need to make any backups.Any more suggestions?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Just because port 25 is open, doesn't mean that people can use it to send forged email... or does it....?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

All those ports that are open mean that services are running on them. if you close those ports, the services won't function correctly. Usually you'll be sharing your web server with someone else unles you got yourself a dedicated machine. You cannot terminate those services because someone else might be using them. Best thing to do is to leave those alone, build your website and move on with your life. If you notice an odd port open, I.E 20000 and 20001 which are the Millenium Trojan. Do a little more research on those ports and what services run on them before you start closing ports left and right.