Thread: Help ! AIM/Camera problem

Help ! AIM/Camera problem

Ok this is whats up !

I go online with AIM (I have Comcast broadband connection), so im trying to Video Chat with a buddy ! When i click The Camera on IM window, it says connecting and then my computer just shuts down ! No warning, nothing, it just shuts down !

If you need some information:

Widnows XP Proffessional
    Compaq 800 Mhz
    AIM 5.5.3595
    Logitech Camera, Front USB port, No CD drivers installed, I installed it through the Add/Remove Hardware wizard!

Did this happen to any foy ou guys ? Can you help me ?

I'm really curious what might have caused this error. !

Here, i'll try and find the log from the system error !

Code:
    Error code 0000007f, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Thanks, guys !

Hrmm, well for starter's I think this is the wrong forum but anyways I'll try and help yah. I have never used the video chat feature on AIM (didn't know it existed to tell you the truth) but I'm guessing it involves direct connecting with the buddy you are using the feature with. Now do you know the buddy you were connecting with well? Also I would run some scan's on your system (virus/trojan and spyware/adware) just to see all is well. Also check your firewall logs (assuming you have a firewall). See what ya got from there.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I wouldnt have thought that spyware/adware had anything to do with it and aslong as you have granted permission for it with your firewall, that shouldnt make any difference either.

The problem is windows XP tends to install its own web cam driver and as you said you installed via the add remove hardware wizard not with a cd.

I have a Dexxa web can but when I first went to windows XP, XP decided that the geniric logitech driver it ships with would be the best driver for it and it went ahead and installed it anyway.

I then had the exact same problem as you, when ever I tried to use it, my computer would hang or just shut down.

All I did was to install the latest drivers from manufacturers web site = Problem was solved for me!

Id try using the latest logitech drivers if I was you!

Hope it helped!

Now do you know the buddy you were connecting with well? Also I would run some scan's on your system (virus/trojan and spyware/adware) just to see all is well. Also check your firewall logs (assuming you have a firewall). See what ya got from there.
    It's a girl, and she's not that computer literate, she probably kept all the default programs/settings that came pre-installed ! I scaned my computer with various spyware programs and a trojan scanner, and yeah with AVG Anti Virus, no bad results, except for some tracking cookies with ad-aware. ANd my firewall logs are okay. !

All I did was to install the latest drivers from manufacturers web site = Problem was solved for me!

Id try using the latest logitech drivers if I was you!

Hope it helped!
    Okay i'll try that tommorow, to tired to play around with it now ! Tx, i'll post results tommorow.

Oh, I wasn't worried if she kept the default program's. I was worried it was someone that would try to get your IP or something, I dunno.. I was thinking a little "down the line" so to speak. Anyway's, Nokia brought up an excellent point (kudo's). I wasn't thinking about the driver's for the camera either and that coulda played a hardware (or even software) factor in the system shutting down.
    Space For Rent.. =]