remote port scanner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remote port scanner

Banned

remote port scanner

Can anyone give me nice free utility for remote port scanner

thanks in advance

Regal Making Handler
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

To test your own systems, just ssh into a remote shell account and use nmap from there.

Slarty

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    There is only one true port scanner, and it's name is Nmap, bow down and worship at it's feet!

While I like NMAP, I was impressed with Superscanner from Foundstone.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Yes, I use superescan as well, maybe I will check out Nmap...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I should also mention Look@LAN (http://www.lookatlan.com/download.html ), Itís not as useful as Nmap but it is pretty.

personally for windows, i found AngryIPScanner is nice -- it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of nmap, but it can do as large a range of PC's that you want and give you the hostname, usernames that are logging in, shares (with a plugin), mac address, and a whole bunch of other stuff -- i am currently working on making another plugin for it that will give usernames (but since i am one of the world's worst programmers it is taking quite awhile)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I tend to agree with everyone else and say NMAP.

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

There is the main site.

One of the good things aboUT nmap is that there is a Windows port of it.

You will find all downloads available here.

And as slarty says, scan your own pc from a remote one for you might recieve different results. The difference being a matter of "trust".

This is the man page (a man page is a explantion of tHE command along with switches and arguments) which will show you what all NMAP can do.

You can perform basic scans along with scanning and getting back not only which ports are open, but what services run on them as well as what versions are running.

This is done using the -sV in your scan.

You can also direct NMAP to make it appear as if you scans are coming from a different source other than the one you are scanning from.

If you use this scan to spoof a say, ummm, I don't know, a trusted source? You would come up with different results than from your pc because you are not a trusted source. This switch is -sI

You can also log all the scans in multiple formats allowing quick reference if which ever format is easier for you. This is done using -oG (grepable), -oX (XML), or -oN (which is basic). -oA saves it as all 3.

There is also one which allows you to save in 1337 speak!

There are also timing options using the -T along with an argument to specify the rate at which the port scan will be done. Of course slower (real slower) might even not raise alarms on IDS?

Experiment and you will soon agree. NMAP r0ck3rs your s0ck3rs!

/edit I found this link in which tonybradely explains port scanning in detail. Good read.

While I like NMAP , I also like Blue's . www.bluebitter.de