Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't run any command in DOS

Can't run any command in DOS

Hello...
    i am running windows xp home sp1, DOS [Version 5.1.2600] on my compaq machine. i am not able to run any command exept DIR neither from cmd.exe nor from command.com. i am able to ping from RUN. but whnever i try to ping from DOS prompt i get this message:

Code:
    C:\>ping 172.16.0.1
    'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    All my ping and netstat batch files got corrupted too.

I scanned for viruses and worms but did'nt find any such thing. i tried to run in safe mode too but again same message .i am pissed off by this all. pliz help me..i am very confused..
    Thanx...
    Half The Time I Don\'t Know What I\'m Talkin\' About, And Even Worse, I Don\'t Know Which Half

Are you sure I386 folder is in your path? you may want to check that first,

an example

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\Fonts;C:\I386

You should be able to cd into your system32 folder and use cmd.exe from there, I had the same problem once and that was my work around.

//edit The fix was a clean install.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Type set at the coomand prompt, you should get something like this in one of the lines:

Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;

Most likely it will be longer, but Systerm32 should be in there some where. Let us know if it is not.

@ttau
    Yes m8, i got it from there. i Cd into system32 and am able to use all commands.

Type set at the coomand prompt, you should get something like this in one of the lines:

Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;

Most likely it will be longer, but Systerm32 should be in there some where. Let us know if it is not.
    i got this:

Code:
    C:\>set
    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Suhail\Application Data
    CLIENTNAME=Console
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=SOHAIL
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Suhail
    LOGONSERVER=\\SOHAIL
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=c:\sun\jdk1.3.1_12\bin
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=080a
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Suhail\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Suhail\LOCALS~1\Temp
    USERDOMAIN=SOHAIL
    USERNAME=Suhail
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Suhail
    windir=C:\WINDOWS
    Half The Time I Don\'t Know What I\'m Talkin\' About, And Even Worse, I Don\'t Know Which Half

Your PATH variable seem's to have been changed...

This is your problem

"Path=c:\sun\jdk1.3.1_12\bin"

The solution is to get a DOS session going then type

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS

That will give you a basic functional path. Just for that session mind! To make it work for all future sessions you'll have to edit the file C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

Investigate all files in the C:\ directory that start AUTOEXEC to attempt to find the previous PATH setting.

CD C:\
    DIR AUTOEXEC.*
    TYPE AUTOEXEC.OLD

or do a search within windows on the C: for AUTOEXEC.* and open each one in notepad.

Hope I've helped and not patronised!
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

yes thats what i was expecting........actually all there files are in System32 folder and the Path variable has to haev a link to that ........here what you should do......

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Advanced tab.
    3. Click Environment variables.

Find Path in it ...it will look like this Path=c:\sun\jdk1.3.1_12\bin;...Edit it to add the path to System32 and windows folder there.....

Path=c:\sun\jdk1.3.1_12\bin;c:\windows\system32\;c:\windows\

it should look like this....

WildOneNKC -> There is not i386 folder in the path.......there is no i386 folder in windows folde for that matters..........this folder is in the Windows NT,2000,Xp install CD....this is from where all the files are installed.....but the installed verson dosen't have something called I386.

ttau -> Of course Clean Install will Fix this.......But clean install is not the fix for such a measly problem that could be solved with 4 mouse clicks...and a few keystrokes...

Come on guys......Do some homework before posting or advising something...you could easily mess up somebody's things....

Simple Simon -> Yes you are right.......but he is using XP....as far i know no AUTOEXEC in there..

--Goodl Luck--

Oops! I should have mentioned that...

As SwordFish_13 subtly pointed out...add c:\windows\system32;c:\windows; to the path.

Of course... you may wish to check that the current path is valid first. Just see if you can cd to c:\sun\jdk1.3.1_12\bin if you can't then there's no point it being in the path!

You're running on a Compaq not a Sun machine, so I can not imagine why this path is set like this. I have, however, seen weirder things!

edit:
    Oops! - You're right Swordfish_13, he is using XP and there is no autoexec.bat Sorry!! Don't think my advice would mess him up - just lead him on a wild goose chase. Apologies in advance to psycO for that.
    edit end:
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Thank You All for quick response and solving my problem..
    yes my path variable was messed up
    Well now i can breath easily..thanks again.

Re: Oops! I should have mentioned that...

Originally posted here by Simple Simon
    As SwordFish_13 subtly pointed out...add c:\windows\system32;c:\windows; to the path.

Of course... you may wish to check that the current path is valid first. Just see if you can cd to c:\sun\jdk1.3.1_12\bin if you can't then there's no point it being in the path!

You're running on a Compaq not a Sun machine, so I can not imagine why this path is set like this. I have, however, seen weirder things!
    Actually i set that path for my JAVA..but forgot to add system path..and now i was getting mad that what has happend..God bless AntiOnline and you ppl, my problem is solved.Bingo!!

I knew that Autoexec.bat is not available in XP. but Thanks anyway.