Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking with a router

Networking with a router

Hi All,
    I was told that I could set up a network using a DSL router even though I don't have DSL(it isn't available where I live), I was under the impression that all I had to do was connect all the boxes through the router and I would get a screen pop up and start asking about IP addresses. Well now non of that happened(screen pop ups that is). Is it really possible to do this? Obviously I am a novice here. All I want is a small home network (3 boxes). Does anyone have some detailed instructions for setting up this network? 2 boxes are win 98 se and 1 box is XP home edition.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Start -> Control Panel-> Network Connections-> Network Setup Wizard. If that doesnt help post again

And hey, even M$ has 8 Parts on How to set up a network with WinXP Home

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813936

BANNED
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Cool

Thanks for the help. I am still having some problems like being able to see the network but that is probably because I don't have sharing set up right. I am able to get internet through the other 2 boxes though and that is the important thing right now as I am havng modem driver issues on 1 box.

Once again thanks for the help.

Mike

AO French Antique News Whore
    Are you using a router to connect your 3 machines together? And the router is supposed to connect to the Internet by regular telephone modem?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK,
    What I have is an XP machine hooked up to the internet via dial up, and a router connecting the other machines to the net by way of the XP machine. I think I had an ethernet card go bad though, one box doesn't want to read through the router. I know that the jack is good because the other box works fine in it. Any thoughts to that? Is it possible that I just have something hooked up wrong.

Thanks
    Mike

Do you have a firewall up on one of the boxes?
    =

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I think what he is doing is using the router as just a switch and using Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing to share from his XP box with the modem. That can work fine, just make sure you turn off the DHCP service on the router or it will be fighting with the DHCP service from MS ICS for who is handing out IPs on your home network. Might help if you dropped out to a command line on each of your boxes, used the "ipconfig /all" command and pasted the results for each box here.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I'm don't know a lot about M$ Connection Sharing. But I know that you can share your telephone modem if you plug all your computers in the router LAN Port and your telephone modem in the WAN Port and configured your router correctly. Most router can support dial-up modem.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thanks all for the replys, I am using a firewall. The XP firewall is up and I am using zonealarm on the 98se boxes. The firewall has not stopped me from getting the internet on the one 98 se box.

I can't see the other machine from either box through the network connection. Also I tried to add another box and was unsuccessful, but I think that the ethernet card is bad. The router seems fine I can swap holes just fine with the other machine and it works fine.

Oh and using command lines is a little above my knowledge level right now as is configuring the Cayman router. Really I am not a lost cause I just need pointed the right direction in layman terms.

Thanks
    Mike