Thread: Suggestions for a good book on operating systems?

Gook book on operating systems

Does anyone know of a good book about operating systems? It seems that on Amazon, all the books have 3 star ratings and someone always complains about errors or confusing writing etc.(Or they're from the early 90's) I'm not taking a class, I just would like to learn more about OS design and such.

All operating systems or one in particular?

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Operating Systems, incorporating Unix & Windows, 3rd Edition, Colin Ritchie
    ISBN 0 8264 5382 1
    www.continuumbooks.com
    Although this was recommended for our degree course, it is intended to bridge the gap between detailed texts for systems programmers and those of users of specific operating systems, using Unix, MSDOS and Windows. there is some good background and historical material included
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    The Windows XP/2000 Answer Book: John Savill
    ISBN: 0-321-11357-8

It's set out as a reference tome, just look up your problem, and go straight to it. Although, it CAN be read as a 'normal' book. Full of goodness........

UNIX made EASY 3rd Edition: John Muster
    ISBN: 0-07-219314-X

Good solid book. One problem, You really do need to have Unix up and running somewhere, to make the most of this book, and secondly, the title: Unix made EASY...........

http://www.computerbooksdirect.co.uk/
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I'm not really trying to learn about one particular operating system, just general design concepts. An example of what I'm talking about would be this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    But, this and every book similar each have multiple bad reviews. Has anyone actually read any of them?

Just Another Geek
    Operating systems: design and implementation by Andrew S. Tanenbaum.

It talks alot about Minix:

WHAT IS MINIX 2.0
    MINIX is a free UNIX clone that is available with all the source code. Due to its small size, microkernel-based design, and ample documentation, it is well suited to people who want to run a UNIX-like system on their personal computer and learn about how such systems work inside. It is quite feasible for a person unfamiliar with operating system internals to understand nearly the entire system with a few months of use and study.
    MINIX BOOK
    MINIX has been designed as a teaching system. It is easy to learn and maintain. A book describing operating systems in general and how MINIX works in particular is available. It can be used as a textbook or for independent study. The bibliographic information is:
    Title: Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, 2/e
    Authors: Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Albert S. Woodhull
    Publisher: Prentice-Hall
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.