Thread: Changing the start menu text

Changing the start button text

Ever wanted to change the text on your start button from 'Start' to something else... oh, let's say 'Linux'?
    Here's how:

1. Download Resource Hacker, a ulility to "view, modify, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables"

2. Create a copy of c:\windows\explorer.exe and name it explorer2.exe (keep it in the same folder as the original explorer file)

3. Open explorer2.exe in Resource Hacker. Expand String Table, then 37. Click on 1033

4. 578, "Start" <--replace "start" with whatever you want it to say on the button. After you've modified it, click the button that says Compile Script.

5. Now you need to change the default Windows shell from explorer.exe to the modified version. In regedit navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Modify the value called Shell to contain explorer2.exe instead of explorer.exe.

Once you have completed those steps, either log off or reboot. When you log on again, you should have a nice shiny customized start button

If you ever want to revert back to the original, just change the same registry key back to explorer.exe and you're set. Have fun.

mjk

Banned
    I already have that in my Xp Tut but leave it here in this Forum, i like this trick especially....

Checked out your tut memory, they both say the same stuff.... Oh well.

Nice tut btw

Thanks for the cool tip mjk..
    I changed my start bar to something a little more suitable....

Thanks, Iam going to do this now!
    American Air Force = Best in the world