Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Win and Norton

AO Part Timer

Troubleshooting Win and Norton

Changed title. Also, I wasn't really sure where to put this post, please move it if it fits elsewhere better.

Windows XP home, sp1 udated. Norton 2003 security suite.
    Problem, just recently Norton expired again. Excpet this time it looks as if it killed itself. It no longer loads on boot, auto protect is off, and the firewall is all disabled. Except when I try to re enable it, it just goes hourglass on me. No action is taken at all. I am able to run the AV scan.

Also unrelated or not. Example; Bid and won an item on ebay, yet when I try and follow the check out "pay now" IE won't open the page. It follows the referal but gives me the cannot find page. I know first things first stop using IE. Doesn't help, tried a few others w/no luck.

I have the same result when I try to log into my Mastercard, Visa, and online banking accounts. Any idea's? I considered a system restore but it failed. I am going to go run SFC. At this point I am just guessing. I have tried alot of things. All the basic trouble shooting stuff.

Just to ease a few, I am not picking up anything strange from active ports either. Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Dopey, now you will have to take what I say with a grain or two of salt, because I am prejudgiced against Nortons.

I would uninstalling Nortons completely....both AV and firewall. Then put anouter AV and firewall in place. (I am using Avast and Kerio presently....both free, and satisfying so far) Then attempt to connect to your bank and use those features on e-bay again.

As I have said I don't like Nortons and have heard of it doing some strange things when it doesn't get its own way, so I would try that first. You can always reinstall Nortons after doing the check, but don't just disable it, because one of the items I heard about was something to do with Nortons interfering when it was disabled but not uninstalled.

If this is something that you will try, please let me know the results as I am interested in the final outcome.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Sounds as if somethign definitely got screwed up with norton.

i love norton and its all I ever use, however there are some viruses out there that will "kill" Norton.

I suggest scanning with house calls AV online and running spybot and ad-aware just in case. then re-install your AV.
    =

AO Part Timer
    Thanks folks. Will keep you both posted with my findings.

For the record moxnix, I have never had any problems with norton. But I will try your idea. The only draw back I see to removing it is as I mentioned my subscription has experied. If I uninstall it completley won't this leave me dead in the water?

Norton found BrutusA2.exe. It is an executable zip file. I am gonna look into that one also. Kind of odd me thinks. Have to talk to the wife again perhaps
    -Tiger Shark

BANNED
    BrutusA2.exe is brutus brute force cracker. I think norton is just showing it as a dangerous type of software. Gonna keep searching google though.
    Symantec doesn't list it in thier virus encyclopedia:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/vinfodb.html
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

AO Part Timer
    Nevermind answered my own question.

Here is a little info on Brutus>>>

Brutus

Hey Dopey,

Some time NAV goes belly up, with out any help from virii, certainly follow through with that advice but if it comes back clean.. two options.. Make a Boot BArtPE enviroment boot CD with the latest AV updates, and run that as well.. cool Idea..from another member..

The other is completly uninstall NAV.. you may need to use a tool removal tool from Symantec.. this ensures complet removal (an issue when ppl upgrade to 2004.. some parts of 2003 will cause probs with the install) pm me if you can't find it ..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO Part Timer
    bucket

Thanks for that link. I remember using it against one of my websites sometime ago. Just to see what it was capable of. I no longer use the login option it runs against. So it just remained in a tools dir. Besides Norton called it a Hacktool.

Und3ertak3r

I just made the resuce disks about two weeks ago. Any idea on how I could stuff it onto one cd and use it as a backup for my defenitions? I never upgraded to 2004, I kept 2003 and paid 19.95 for another year of defenitions. I am really starting to wonder if this is all because I haven't renewed it.

Thanks all will keep ya posted.
    -Tiger Shark

I have to go with Mox~ on this one, I have found Norton to be a problem in home environments. It seems to be able to get screwed up and to clash with other software.

I have always found it OK in a stable commercial environment, just a problem at home where you are always experimenting.

McAfee and PC-cillin seem to be far more "forgiving" in this respect.

Just my experience