Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Guide to Ethical hacking

Question The Unofficial Guide to Ethical hacking

Hello,

I've heard about the book "The unoffical guide to ethical hacking" by Ankit fadia ... a 19 yr old guy.. Anybody know more about the book 'n how is it ??
    - SCORPION

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    IMHO, most of what was in the book can be found online. The book is a good example of cut'n'paste concepts. You'd be better off learning from here or if it's security specifically you want visit O'Reilly for one of their books or one of the Hacking Exposed/Hacking Notes books.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I have a copy of Ankits book (still!) and I wholeheartedly second (and third) MsM's summary - much better to get an O'Reilly book or one of the Hacking Exposed series

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I have a book called Certified Ethical Hacking by the EC Counsil. it is the study guide for the 312-50 exam ( i think)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I have a book called Certified Ethical Hacking by the EC Counsil. it is the study guide for the 312-50 exam ( i think)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

ya buddy i read it. I still have a copy of it. I doesnot provide with much knowledge. Most of the stuff is old or even history. Go try o, O'Reilly book. that's much more better.
    Currently working on sdome link directories and a brand new programming site. :P will post them soon.

oooooo sorry i post to an old post
    Currently working on sdome link directories and a brand new programming site. :P will post them soon.

yuvraj,

lol an old post for an old book with old info... It came out in about 2002 and so I guess he's about 21-22 yrs old now.

MsMittens:
    IMHO, most of what was in the book can be found online. The book is a good example of cut'n'paste concepts. You'd be better off learning from here or if it's security specifically you want visit O'Reilly for one of their books or one of the Hacking Exposed/Hacking Notes books.
    So True!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I usually waiver from posting about the book.

Actually I believe Ankit is 19ish now. He wrote it when he was like 16+, the book is a copy and past job, but that's not the point of the book. IMHO.

The book mainly sells to those people that wan't to call themselves hackers without even knowing, how to print the phrase "I am leet" on there computer screen. It sells to the group of people that believe that if you can, download it, and use it. Then you are. So the book does accomplish it's point.

Now at the same time. The book's info, most of it, at this point is still up to date. I have read it, and look at it every blue moon. It isn't really that bad of a book. It is one of those books you get if you need to refer to something later. I mainly use it for some of the code in it.

Now, you can get most, if not all the code in the book off the web. But prretty much the code in the book, is good. I mean one of the portscanners in the book, that is in C. Is rather nice.

Now if you really want to learn something, besides stupid basics, yeah get a real book. Like an Orielly. But if you just want to pick up a couple topics. Then the book is the one for you. It doesn't teach **** about hacking except. Ping and Traceroute ****.

It goes over DDoS, but not in detail as to how to do them.

On a scale of 1 - 10. I give the book, a 4 for effort, and the ability to grab, people that would otherwise never even try to learn what there computer is doing.

Ummm you could read Hacking exposed or the hackers blackbook.