Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: written a password generator, get it here

written a password generator, get it here

i've written a password generator (at the moment only for windows)
    and i was wondering if it is worth to publish it under the GNU license, i don't know if anyone would use it

if so, then how would i be able to publish it under that license, how does that work?

see the attachment for the tool and let me know what you think of it....

(b.t.w. , i am scorpius).

[edit]i've been searching the net for a similar tool and found this site, they ask 15 -25 dollar for a similar program...

also tried mouslock (same company) it is suppose to be save, but when you hit <ctrl>+<shift>+<esc> you can kill the program without having to have the password....

some company
    [/edit]

its a nice tool but why exactly would you need a tool to make up a password, it really isnt hard if you just scribble around, thats what ur program is doin...putting different characters together not making a meaning word or anything, but still good tool

but that's the only reason why a password can be strong, not resembling any real word...

but the reason i did this was to learn and the reason i maybe want to publish it is because there are a lot of tools like it, but the ones i've found are online or not for free....
    and there are lots of people, not so keen with computers that won't see the difference themselves between a password like password or a password like R[Vfdk43&lt;!2 and i made this program with a password cracker in mind, like jtr or lc5, they normally only use the standard characterset (A-Z,a-z,0-9) and with the lanmanhash these passwords are cracked on a fast computer within 2 hours....

but i'm glad you liked it

BANNED
    I liked it my roommate uses passwords like password and 123456789 so when he gets home I'm giving it to him right off the bat.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I definetly would use it. I think it's great.
    The only change I would make is that after you have created a password, you have the option of making another one, or quitting.
    Thanks!

I don't think it's worth publishing under the GNU license (or any license for that matter). Perhap's if it was a password protection key or something of serious nature, maybe. One time (LONG time ago) I considered coding a port scanner alongside my friend Robby (long story about that too, it's how I got my handle). We didn't know whether or not we should get a GNU license for our little program either and he had ended up leaving a beta/non-finished version of it on his personal website. Well, a group of skiddies ended up downloading the prog and decided to finish it. We wanted to know how we could improve it better and what was missing. Bad move.

Long story short: They ended up finishing program, got the program under the GNU license, and a port scanner type proggie with the name Spyder in it () was licensed to them. Load of bull really. Anyways, point is.. Only if you feel it's worth it and you don't mind possibly seeing other versions of it on the market. But for your application I doubt that would happen.

This kinda make's me wanna go back into programming..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    A quick hexedit of the proggie reveals someone has been playing with VB. A few extra quicky security tests and it appears you have been thorough in guarding against unexpected input. Nice work.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hrmm, on a side note: I really need to get a good hex editor if I decide to get back into programming. Thank's for reminding me thehorse.
    Space For Rent.. =]

albn
    There is NO reason not to release it under the GPL because it is BETA or the size. If there is anyway to help make software free, then i say go for it.

Nice work.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hrmm, on a side note: I really need to get a good hex editor if I decide to get back into programming. Thank's for reminding me thehorse.
    There is elegance in simplicity. Check out Hedit on this DL site. There are a number of other useful things there too.

http://www.zone-h.org/download/category=49

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden