Thread: sticky needed in addicts

sticky needed in addicts

Originally posted here by keezel
    We could establish an actual policy (or "renew" one) that would say something like "If you see a troll, do not respond with anything other than a neg. If you see someone, *anyone* responding to a troll with a post, neg them too". I submit that someone make a general policy for all addicts and seniors and make it a sticky in the addicts forum that states something similar to that. The author of this sticky thread would need to at least be a moderator, preferably an administrator. Something like "You are an addict now, so you are held to a higher standard and you are expected to neg the sh*t out of useless posts, trolls, and people that respond to trolls". That'd be a great first step toward making the self-moderation abilities of this site more effective.
    We've been having discussions on how to improve the quality of the site and how to deal with trolls. I posted that ^ in addicts and it was discussed for awhile. It was suggested that something like this also be PMd to every new addict....but that idea was shot down. It was also suggested that this could be made into a "curtain" forum or something so it forces people new to Addicts forum to read it before they have access. I think a sticky that looks special somehow be authored by an administrator and placed in Addicts with some sort of catchy subject line like "Read this or die". The body could be a far more professional version of what I wrote, plus anything someone would like to add. It has to be short and to the point though b/c stickys just don't get read b/c they're long and boring... I would *love* to see this happen, and I don't even ask to be given credit for it.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I still think the PM that you have to read before you can enter addicts would be better. Like get PMed a link into addicts that like sets of something that allows you to enter.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

That requires way more work than a special looking sticky, *and* it would be difficult to do if we change the requirements for access to addicts forum like we're talking about now b/c you couldn't just rig it to where a PM be sent out upon a person's 275th post anymore - but I appreciate your support!

BANNED
    I think it sounds good all around. Not just a rule for addicts but a rule for anyone that sticks around.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

At the risk of appearing like a post wh0re in my own thread - yeah, it's a good policy for everyone that sticks around but typically members have very little influence before they've reached addict status. (I say typically b/c there are some that get greened out the wazoo b4 they make it even to "member"). It also gives addicts a special feeling once they read that b/c I personally would feel like...empowered or part of a mission or something, and I'd be more dedicated to the site right then and there. Sounds cheezy but it could have some very good positive side-effects.