Should bring a tear to the eyes of the oldies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should bring a tear to the eyes of the oldies.

Should bring a tear to the eyes of the oldies.

Wow talk about a blast from the past, I got a chuckle out of these 15 meg harddrive $2495.00 for the primary unit, 10 mb internal harddrive $1195
    Thanks for sharing these Gore

That first link with the Tandy laptop looks familiar - I think someone on my dad's dad's side of the family owns a model that looks similar to that, with briefcase. Acturally, I think the one he has was considered a portable typewriter or something. Heck, I don't remember. I didn't get to pick it up and toss it around when I saw it (and two others) about 4 years ago.

And to toss around my ancient computer usage, I've used a Tandy 1000 Color PC (with dual 5 1/4 inch floppy drives) way back in the day. Of course, this was something my dad let me use after getting a Pentium 66 and 4x CD-ROM drive (with disc caddy)... But I think we gave the computer to that family member who keeps this ancient stuff... Man, if I'm not mistaken, I remember playing Chuck Yager's flight sim on that beast... :tear:

I remember spending a whole weekend copying a basic program for some text adventure game from a book and punching it into my lean, mean Vic-20 with a cassette drive. About 10 lines from the end of the program the system ran out of memory. I wasn't a happy camper.
    Ahhh the good old days.

wow that goes back to almost the start of cmputers, when was that anyways at 1970 or so? anyways it looks like it was expensive as hell before, not that its cheap now but you get a lot more for ur money

not that its cheap now but you get a lot more for ur money
    It's not cheap ? You used to get 15 megs for over a thousand bucks, and now you can get an external 300 Gig HDD for a little over 200 $, call me crazy but that's cheap !

oh computers started somewhat in the late 1940's.

PC's startes 1970's

This cracked me up:

http://oldcomputers.net/ads/H-100.JPG

"Save later because your computer investment will not become obsolete for years to come"

LOL

Edit: http://oldcomputers.net/ads/Infocom.JPG

Any of you oldies remember playing Zork?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Actually, the first computer was built in .... The 1800's ? The man who invented them had one designed, but at the time, the parts he needed to build it didn't exist. A woman was also the first Coder ever.

"Any of you oldies remember playing Zork?"

Zork was the best, you can still get it on abandonware sites. I get the impression it is technically illegal to distribute but i doubt anyone really cares as it is pretty old. I spent many, many hours as a kid playing zork on an appleII. Taipan is another sweet game, It has even been ported to freebsd as well as LOGO the kids programming language for apple. http://www.google.com/search?q=zork+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    ls
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

It's amazing people ever kept programming. In Grade 10 (1984) our schools first computer lab didn't have floppies or cassette. By the time you had typed in all the code from the sheets you had printed out at the end of the last class you only had time to add a few more lines of code before class ended and you had to print your code again. God bless the old dot matrix.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn