Thread: missing boot.ini

missing boot.ini

Hello! I have a problem with my machine because my boot.ini in c:/ directory is missing. Is there any way that I can fix it? I tried installing winxp again but it doesnt permit me to install it because it says that I have to fix the boot.ini first.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    boot.ini is simply a text file that lays out the boot options at start up. It is a hidden system file so you can't simply view it normally or change it.

You need to boot to a CD or floppy(s), with an OS that understands NTFS, issue the command

attrib c:\boot.ini

This will tell you is it is there. If it is and corrupted issue the commands

attrib -s -h c:\boot.ini
    del c:\boot.ini

Make a new file called boot.ini with the following lines

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

I have edited the some of the lines above to make it work for XP since this is actually my Win2k boot.ini file and IIRC they are similar. If not someone will jump on it I hope and correct me.

Hope it works for you.

[edit]

For some reason when posted the S from the word WINDOWS wraps but it doesn't in edit. The S is not on a line on it's own it goes at the end of WINDOW

Hope that's clear

[/edit]
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    Easier than Tigers suggestion is to boot to your xp cd. Press R for the recovery console and Type: Boot.cfg

This should fix any boot.ini errors.

Then do a repair install.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    If you have a scsi drive, you have to replace the "multi" with "scsi":

default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Thank you guys!