Thread: Could this happen?

Question Could this happen?

Is it possible to route a call trough a computer with cable internet, so that it looks like it came from your personal tell #? I was on my way to work, and i got a call on my cell phone. I didn't know who the hell it was, and after I got off I traced the # and it was placed from my business line in the basement of my house, and there was no one home at the time.... Also I have gotten some calls from a person who says that he was from at&t, at 3:00 A.M. in the morning!

If someone could help I would be very gratefull,
    -Korndogma

P.S. My systems have been compromised, is it true that you can hack a firewall like blackice defender with a properly named trojan?

Just a simple question about your question, do you have your 56k modem hooked up?

The reason I am asking is because cable modems do not use your analog voice line(actually they aren't even hooked into a jack with dialtone on it), so if your 56k modem is not plugged into the phone jack it is 100% impossible for it to be coming from your computer. Even if you do have you 56k modem hooked into that line, the person doing this would HAVE to find some way to send voice and recieve speaker output from your computer to thier remote site (I don't even think PCanywhere as these features so I doubt your run of the mill scriptie kiddie software will).

The only feasible possible I can think of would be someone having direct access to your loop, it only takes someone plugging into the red and green wires (ringer and tip for the phone company people out there) to get a dialtone off your line. This can be done ANYWHERE down the loop, including those nice lil' phone cans on the side of the road.

As far as the blackice question, I am probably not the person to be asking that one, I am more of a zone alarm type person, or an ipchains junkie

Hope this answers your quesiton
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

It's possible that they somehow, with a comp or with another device, got into the telephone system
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

like Cheeseball said, some one could easily patch into the loop wire outside your house(ring, right, red, ridge). but your pair appears in many locations between you (or beyond you)and the central office. It could be a phone worker, or even someone who fould a 'live' phone connection in an empty building., it would be possible to do what you suggest, but not threw a dsl hack, your have to set it up. have the phone company track it down.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Senior since the 3 dot era

Arrow

Originally posted by thesecretfire
    It's possible that they somehow, with a comp or with another device, got into the telephone system
    Yep, off course this is possible, what do you think phone phreaking is all about?

second, did you never see a telephone company worker change a line from ISDN to PSTN? They use a special phone (that can be plugged directly on the wires) and phone a specific number, enter a code, enter their user ID, enter their password (a number), then they are inside the phone system and could easily do some tests or change settings (PSTN, ISDN mode, change phone number ID, ... )

Call forwarding ?

Could it be as simple as "Call Forwarding" on the Office/modem line ?

There is many things about this at " www.phonelosers.org " , check it out.
    +S4B3R

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    s4b3r, might want to watch for those flashing dates. They tend to indicate how old an thread is. Given that this one is 2 years old, I suspect the person may not be looking for any further info.

Gonna close the thread for now.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage