Thread: self destructing documents/files

self destructing documents/files

Hello everybody....

___________ Self destructing documents/files_________

This is a process I use all the time when I don't want people to read files that may have sensitive viewing.....

For all you experts out there this may seem kind of newbieish...

Sets say you have a bad memory like me. I don't recommend keeping your passwords in any kind of txt file but let’s say u did....

Take your file, and make a backup copy of it....
    Then take the file and compress it with WinZIP, or any other compressing agent.
    Place the file on the c directory (for easy access...
    Goto a dos prompt and type rename c:\"passwordfile.zip" "(what ever).bat" place your file’s name in the first field passwordfile.zip and place what ever your want to name it in the second field. Make sure you keep it in the .bat format.....

You will notice a change of icon.... right click on it go to edit. A notepad window with a whole bunch on funny characters will pop up.
    Scroll down, find a place, click to take your curser there... press enter twice. And in the blank line type. "Echo (allot of gibberish) > (your file name. Bat)" save and exit...

DON'T OPEN THE FILE UNLESS YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE CONTENTS EVER AGAIN...

If you want to access the file undo the steps above. MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT THE TOW LINES AS THEY WERE BEFORE YOU ADDED THE ECHO CRAP.
    Change the name back to .zip and enjoy your file

Just remember that your file will become corrupt if that icon is executed by any user…..

keep your backups on disk hidden really well...........

I know it’s a poor tutorial... I thought somebody might enjoy it....

this process works with any kind of file not just text.... doc. exe. mpeg. whatever.

I like to use DOS, I don't know why.... you can use windows if you like....

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Seems like a lot of work for very little payoff. If I see a batch file on a system that’s not mine I’m going to open it in notepad before I ever run it, especially if its over 1k (which is likely the case if you use your process on a zip file with anything significant in it).

Banned
    I don't feel like looking for it, but you posted this a while ago already...