Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM goes slow on XP update

IBM goes slow on XP update

Microsoft says that the code for its update to the Windows XP operating system is finally ready. But IBM's internal technology department disagrees.
    Source:
    http://news.com.com/IBM+goes+slow+on...46.html?tag=nl

When are we going to stop ripping news directly from /. ? It also has nothing to do about them 'disagreeing', it has to do with IBM customizing the SP2 source code to their own network needs rather than taking the stock patch.

SP2 is gold and final, IBM has admitted to this. But, like many major companies are doing, they want certain things customized in it and MS is now granting permissions for them to do so,

I figured it would get a discussion going seeing how nearly everyone complains that garbage threads are being created. If it doesn't get any more reply's then this thread will slowly move down off the list.

albn
    I figured it would get a discussion going seeing how nearly everyone complains that garbage threads are being created. If it doesn't get any more reply's then this thread will slowly move down and will probably be forgotten about.
    It is something to discuss, and I want to talk about it.

In the memo to employees, seen by CNET News.com, IBM's internal technology department stated that Windows XP SP2 will "change the behavior of Internet Explorer and cause some application incompatibilities." The memo also noted that some "high-profile, business-critical applications are also known to conflict with SP2."
    So it looks like they are going to test it more to make sure it works for thier customers.

While some businesses, such as IBM, are deciding to test the update throroughly before installing it, consumers buying new PCs are likely to get SP2 soon. Microsoft said it is working with computer manufacturers to get them to start using SP2 as soon as possible.
    IBM customizing the SP2 source code to their own network needs rather than taking the stock patch.
    Now where did you get this information from? I did not know Microsoft gave source code to competitors.

There are critics to SP2, and even though you might toot it "is gold and final" this is not the end all solutions to the operating system's flaws and problems. Not just from MS itself, but from other third party apps.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...998904,00.html

Microsoft's workaround to address security holes in Internet Explorer may successfully block future attacks. But it fails to fix the browser's core problem and may actually interfere with programs that have worked fine to date, some information security experts said yesterday. They added that the company must respond to flaws more quickly than it has in the past.

A spokesperson for the software giant said critics must keep in mind that the configuration change announced Friday for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 is not a permanent fix. Rather, it's a temporary measure to stave off attacks until Microsoft releases more comprehensive security updates in the next few weeks.
    So while it is ready to work for some, it is not ready for everybody.

Oh, by the way, there is no need to explain yourself to AntiOnline administrator/Moderator wannabes that plague the boards. IMO, you are following the rules and want to discuss stuff. Nothing wrong there. It seems there is a new bitch session about how people post and go about things every week and have to walk on eggshells. Go ahead, post what you feel is important, and ignore little **** from bitches like pooh sun tzu.

Oh and for the record... pooh sun tzu goes on IRC and bitches to me what I said and promptly ignores me. That is fine.

Here are some points for you to ponder.

1. I do read articles, Slashdot and other places about things such as this. Sure, Microsoft has a shared source initiative and does give out source to others. However, nowhere in the articlde does it say anything about MS sharing or giving source to anybody. Sure, IBM can customize it when it gets MS's permission, and can further test it for compatiability for thier software.

2. That is fine you assume I do not know anything and I do not read anything. No, I do not know everything, and that is why I asked you for more sources as to where you got the information on where IBM got the source to modify it for its needs. Instead of saying where, you go on IRC and be a little bitch. Fine, I'll look some more

3. I did not misquote you. I went with what you said.

4. It is also OK to say I am a newbie here on antionline. Ask other members how long I have been here. However, how long you have been on a site is immaterial on what you know and other things. You can be doing something for years and not know ****.

Okay, for your peace of mind, I will say what you want to hear... ready?

<sarcasm>You are right. I am wrong.</sarcasm>

Hey, this looks like this is worth discussing

Now where did you get this information from?
    The second paragraph from the article. Did you fall asleep?

But IBM last week told employees to hold off installing SP2 until Big Blue can fully test and customize it. The company's technology department said the delay is "due to known application problems and incompatibility with IBM workstation applications."

See that? Because IBM has custom applications it needs custom modifications to SP2 by Microsoft.

Didn't know they gave out Windows and SP2 source code? Read more /., as that is where this story came from:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/s...g/default.mspx

There are critics to SP2
    There are critics to everything. There are also those who have not only beta tested it, but are already running it on production servers. Have you even installed it? I know I have, as well as helped test it into the final release. Does this mean it is perfect? No, nothing is. But it deserves more than "OMFG MS FSCKED UP AGAIN!"

Oh, by the way, there is no need to explain yourself to AntiOnline administrator/Moderator wannabes that plague the boards. IMO, you are following the rules and want to discuss stuff. Nothing wrong there. It seems there is a new bitch session about how people post and go about things every week and have to walk on eggshells. Go ahead, post what you feel is important, and ignore little **** from bitches like pooh sun tzu.
    Insults? That's all you can backup your argument with is insults instead of facts? Come on now, AO deserves more than that.

Actually this article was posted on slashdot on Monday August 09, @06:36PM and News.com put it up Published: August 9, 2004, 8:54 AM PDT.

albn
    But IBM last week told employees to hold off installing SP2 until Big Blue can fully test and customize it. The company's technology department said the delay is "due to known application problems and incompatibility with IBM workstation applications."
    But where in that paragraph does it say source code? Hmmm, that's a mystery!

And yes, I do know about the shared source initiative, and could not find anything about IBM (oops, heh) getting source from MS shared or whatever. Sure, I'll look into it more, even if I have to ask IBM themselves

And yes. There is no reason for that dude to explain himself to you. He was making conversation, and wants to talk about this. We are talking about now, are we And you can yell, scream and pitch a fit all you want. That will not change my opinions.

But where in that paragraph does it say source code? Hmmm, that's a mystery!
    It's called research, something we all learned to do in middle school. Visit popular sites like http://www.google.com http://www.slashdot.org http://www.news.com http://www.antionline.com

And yes, I do know about the shared source initiative, and could not find anything about OBN getting source from MS shared or whatever
    See above comment.

And yes. There is no reason for that dude to explain himself to you. He was making conversation, and wants to talk about this. We are talking about now, are we
    We are posting news in a security discussion area? The news that gets posted here is usually by the same people, with usually 0 responces, that was stripped from slashdot or news.com. That's great guys, if we wanted to discuss it we would go to the news source, not another dead thread that is screaming for AP

And you can yell, scream and pitch a fit all you want. That will not change my opinions.
    I don't care if you have a different opinion. That's fine and expected. I care that you decided to take this down to an insulting level rather than a 'discussion' We should both be older than that. I give green points for people who share different opinions and are not afraid to say them, because I'm fine with discussion.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST PART
    I'm not fine when a psuedo discussion turns into an insulting war on your part.

albn
    Actually this article was posted on slashdot on Monday August 09, @06:36PM and News.com put it up Published: August 9, 2004, 8:54 AM PDT.
    Thanks DeadAddict

We are posting news in a security discussion area? The news that gets posted here is usually by the same people, with usually 0 responces, that was stripped from slashdot or news.com. That's great guys, if we wanted to discuss it we would go to the news source, not another dead thread that is screaming for AP
    Umm, DeadAddict, were you greenie wh0ring? I kinda doubt it.

I contacted MS about this via e-mail and will see what they are doing with IBM to settle this once and for all.

I didn't submit this article or create this thread for anyone to gain Ap's and I don't give a rats ass if it does get positive ap's but I don't want it being closed either, I want to get this site and forums back to what they were created for security discussions etc.