questions about vsftpd

Thread: questions about vsftpd

Blast From the Past

questions about vsftpd

ive got vsftpd installed but im still working on configuring it.....i dont want it to be anonomus only i want to have a privite server...with user names and passwds

this is my plan
    fyi i have been working with this since gores post about secure ftp servers

i want to add a few of my friends so we can share files we get and not have to burn cds or go over to ur friends house with a thumbdrive
    i plan to have privite folders for everyone and a group folder wich is download only

i think i have all the ports opened on my router but when i try to log in i get from gftp "cannot locate user specified in ftp_username"

ive searched the internet looking for something that will help me with this but i havent found one yet....if someone could tell me what options i need in my config file and what userlist files i need to creat and where */etc or /etc/vsftpd*

or if you could direct me to a helpful tut online id be very happy
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Find VSFTPD.conf and open it in Vi. Then, Comment out the part about it running as an anonymous server.... Actually, you know what, edit the configuration file so that you have to log in. Save it, and read towards the top where the comment says how to run it with that configuration file. This is damned hard to explain over this when I don't have it installed on this box, but if you want, give me an SSH shell with root on your box and I'll take care of you.

One of the options you want is something like "Make all users have to log in" Or "Only Valid users" Or something like that.

Blast From the Past
    how would i go about seting up one of thoes....bare with me i only know enough about linux to dangerous

Which version of Linux do you have? Usually SSH is installed already.

Blast From the Past
    slackware 10....hey if you want to chat live my aim is hexadecimal00110 and my msn is hexadecimal00110@hotmail.com