isp for linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: isp for linux

isp for linux

I've got a small problem... I'm in a household that uses Juno for internet. For those that do not know, juno is an ISP that runs a program on your computer and hosts the internet through there. Problem is that there isn't a linux version, only a lindows version. I also can't afford my own internet provider so I get stuck with Juno. Is there any free ISP out there for linux that I can use? I've tried google but come up blank. Any ideas that you can give me would be greatly appreciated
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

can't you get a program like wine?!?? (i think it is called wine) that allows you to run windows programs under linux? that would allow you to run the software needed

The program JUNO comes with is pretty much just a dialer. It dials out to the ISP. all you need to do is look around the JUNO program for the telephone number then type it in Linux (exactly where I'm not sure) and type your username and password normally and I believe it should work.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, haven't posted on AO for a while
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

doesn't work. Juno works with IE and with windows dial up networking... and because of that won't run under linux. will install but it won't run afterwards.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Raion,
    will try but before I get offline to do this, I think that juno also uses some kind of encryption so that you can't use without their software. proprietary crap.

BANNED
    Did you try calling them and asking them? A lot of distros come with WINE installed. start up xwindows and right click on the juno exe and see if you can open with WINE.
    And here's the user's guide and FAQ for WINE if anyone's interested:
    http://www.winehq.com/site/documentation
    http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Yes it is called wine...
    And first question... What state do you live in...
    I live in washington and we here a have a free ISP called NoCharge internet... And it does work on linux if you can configure your modem and your modem is compatible.

Developer Extraordinar
    Lindows (Now Linspire I do believe) is Linux, so, the Juno build that is released for the Debain package managing system. So if you had a Debain based system, then you could probably use the Lindows version. Else you may have to do some messing around with the .deb package.

Also, kppp should be able to dial the Juno access numbers, as long as you know the number, username and password, then again, I don't use Juno, or kppp (I have broadband. :-D) so I don't know.

microburn
    Come to UnError.com

NW Pennsylvania, 814 area code if it's any help. I'll try the debian and wine ideas....

BANNED
    I'm giving you the URL with the contacts below just call them and ask them for an access number.
    http://www.juno.com/support/support.html
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...