hi ,what is svchost.exe ?

BANNED
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Or for that matter:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

Which comes up #2 in Google

Helpful Advice ...

You've been given two appropriate links to discover the answer to your question. I'll not add anymore.

You may wish to consider reading the AntiOnline FAQ and perhaps go through a few of the tutorials to get a "Feel," for the AntiOnline community.

I see your post has been negged, this is due to you asking a question without trying to find the answer for yourself. A quick search on Google would have given you enough links for you to find the answer your looking for.

I would strongly suggest you invest some time in reading some of the popular threads on here.

Here's to your next, much improved, posting!
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Angry

thank you for ur useful advice.
    i had serach for it before but they weren't helpful and sufficient n sorry if my post was too short .it is so because i was bussy .

If you want to know what process is using svchost.exe I would recommend Process explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/

another tool would be tcpview but that is to find what ports are being used.. handy

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I dunno.... Maybe I should give up on this place.....

[RANT]
    That didn't deserve a Neg..... When you negged him how did you know he hadn't searched and found the answer but hadn't understood it? How do you know that he wasn't looking for an explanation in "plain English". "Google away" is fine but there is _no_ guarantee that the results you get are clear and understandable to the reader.

If you were evening out your AP's then do it on me..... Just have a better reason than you did this time.......

[/RANT]

Silvercloud:

In short and in english.... svchost is a helper for programs that can't simply run on their own but need to be run in order to provide you, the user, with the ability to do something. You can have lot's of svchost instances running on your computer at the same time and each one will be doing something for you. The down side of svchost is that it can be used to hide what is running on your computer too. You will notice in Task Manager that you can see the svchost(s) running but you can't tell what it is they are really doing. There are "process mappers" out there that will show you if you really needed to know what is going on behind that svchost you see in Task Manager.

Hope that helps.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

thanks tiger shark ,i never forget ur kindness .

svchost.exe is a process windows uses. it is perfectly normal to have several of these processes running at once. if u are experiencing problems with this application (taking up lots of CPU space) check out some of my other posts where i have written about this problem.....
    The more you know, the less you understand!

i'm eager to read your posts.where can i find them?