I read this article on Wired News this morning:

"An Original Way to go Postal"

Basically, Stamps.com has a new trial service, in which you can create your own custom sheet of 20 real, US stamps. It's called PhotoStamps.

I decided to try it out this morning by making a stamp of my family crest.

I created myself a new account, and proceeded to look around. I couldn't find anything about image size or resolution restrictions anywhere. So, I decided to just try it. The image I uploaded was 350 x 350 pixels. After uploading it, I was brought to an image editing screen that had a preview of the stamp, and editing tools. It automatically sized the image down to fit in the space provided, but you are able to flip, rotate, zoom, and move the image so that it shows up on your stamp exactly how you want it to. You can also choose from about eight border colors.

It saves the images you upload, so that you can go back and order more at a later date if you want to. Shipping is only $2.99.

Sounds great, right? Here's the catch:

A normal sheet of 20 first-class US stamps ($0.37 each) costs $7.40. A sheet of custom stamps costs $16.99.

So, I figured, what the hell? ONce the novelty wears off, I'll probably never order them again, but, hey ... do you have stamps with your family crest on them???