Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Since it seems to be going ignored elsewhere....

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Since it seems to be going ignored elsewhere....

Intmon:

It costs nothing to add a forum..... Can we have one called AO Professionals?

It should be restricted to the following format:-

1: A minimum of 300 posts in security related forums. (negotiable)
    2. A minimum of 750 positive antipoints (negotiable)
    3. Nominated by poll of existing members with an 80% or better acceptance rate.
    4. Can be subsequently denied access after acceptance by poll with a 55% or better denial rate.
    5. Non-security related threads are simply deleted by Mods.

Can we make a place here that people who are _actually_ interested in security related issues that is a "haven" away from the idiots we seem to get over in Addicts. If an individual can regain access to Addicts in a week or so simply based on a bs post count it means he an "addict" not that he has anything useful or important to contribute.

Let's make somewhere here that people _aspire_ to as opposed to somewhere that people can get to by default that they can subsequently screw up by their juvenile antics....

Course, I'm going to get told to "whistle Dixie" I'm sure...... But you'd improve the quality of your members no end because those that want to get there will get there, those that can't/won't/want to play "silly buggers" will know that they will never be able to mess with that forum. It should also improve the quality of the other forums in so far as those that do "aspire" to the forum will help more, give better answers and be less of an idiot when s/he is in a shitty mood....

Think about it..... Corporately, it might do well to consider it too.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    3. Nominated by poll of existing members with an 80% or better acceptance rate.
    4. Can be subsequently denied access after acceptance by poll with a 55% or better denial rate.
    5. Non-security related threads are simply deleted by Mods.
    I could have sworn I had asked this before but ... I must be losing it.

Point 3: how many existing members would qualify? Do you mean AO membership or membership of the forum? If it's the forum, how do we get those first few in? (chicken and egg concept )

Point 4: what factors would exist for denial? As what should people be aware of that might get them kicked out?

Point 5: rather than deleting them, any objection to posts being moved elsewhere?

This seems more like HTRegz suggestion than the other one. To put it simply for those of us who've gotten comfused as to what we're reading:

Two forums at the Addicts level. One general (with new requirements for achieving it) and a seperate one that is security only (with requirements as above?) Do you want a time consideration (might help eliminate trolls?) or rather not so that members that are good, even if new, gain access?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm 100% in favour of this idea !!

It might finaly serve the pupous addicts was supposed to serve.

And I do think that most of the members that quallify for the above are of more "use" to Jupmedia and their clients (the banner people) then 90% of the n00bs and all the trolls combined..

I also like MsM's additions..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    I have some remarks (who would've thought...):

I think it'd be a bad business decision: all the "professional" members would go to that new forum, taking their interesting discussions with them. Those threads wouldn't show up on the front page... a new member would come to AntiOnline and not see those discussions.

A new member would come to AntiOnline, take a look around and only see "normal" discussions (tech-support, questions that have been asked a gazillion times already,... since all the "good" stuff would be hidden). The members that would stay are the ones you'd like to avoid, and the members that would immediately leave are the ones you'd like to have in AO Professionals.
    By the time the "needed" members find out that there is a professional forum, they'd already have left...

A "solution" would be to make the threads viewable to all members, but they wouldn't be able to reply to them. But that'd only lead to frustration, imo

It's a nice solution for the existing members, but not that nice for new ones.

I think a lot of this has started when we got the option to select what we see on the front page. I have mine set up to show everything (because I have to), but you could set up yours to only show tech-forums...
    The kind of questions that you'd like to see in that new forum are going to be asked anyways, regardless of whether you have the "right" forum to put them in or not. If you set up your front page to not show GCC, Cosmos, Site Suggestions,..., wouldn't that take care of a lot of your problems?

Ms. M:

I could have sworn I had asked this before but ... I must be losing it.
    Maybe it's an issue with the tense you are writing in..... <ducking and weaving>

Point 3: how many existing members would qualify? Do you mean AO membership or membership of the forum? If it's the forum, how do we get those first few in? (chicken and egg concept )
    You and Neg can decide an initial core of let's say 20 people who currently have Custom Title privilege. I say that because from what I see of those with them they tend not to be the people I am trying to "avoid" allowing in there. If we make any mistakes we can throw them back out again in short order...... {Gore: Take note.... ... Joke.... Sit!!!!!}

Point 4: what factors would exist for denial? As what should people be aware of that might get them kicked out?
    Persistent flaming, trolling, personally attacking other members etc. The intent of the forum is one where _professional_ people discuss issues, problems etc. in a _professional_ manner. An individual's invitation to join the forum should indicate that and that unprofessionalism is frowned upon. When you start pissing off the other members with unprofessional behaviour then anyone can place a poll requesting opinion as to banning from the forum. If, in a reasonable amount of time, (let's say 48 hours), 55% or greater favor banning from the forum then they are banned. Persistent polls from the same user requesting the banning of others would also be grounds for banning should the other members agree, (let's face it - it's not professional behaviour).

Point 5: rather than deleting them, any objection to posts being moved elsewhere?
    None whatsoever. But moving an apparently random post somewhere else might be a little silly. Move a thread that is started with a non security post, ok.... Move an individual post that is a response in a thread probably wouldn't work.

I have actually been rethinking the entry "qualifications" and am wondering if they are not too harsh in some ways. I can think of a couple of people right now that don't come close to the "qualifications" that I could quite happily converse with in a more "controlled" environment. In some ways the level of knowledge isn't that important either, in fact if everyone has a similar level of knowledge then it may be counter-productive insofar as it may go "stale" rather quickly. So maybe it should be opened up a little more to "diversify" the community on a knowledge level, (I know I forget things or benefit from going back and looking up details of things when answering questions quite often, I can't imagine I'm the only one that benefits from it in the same manner).

If it could be seen somewhere, somehow then a better judge than how many AP's would be no more than x% negative AP's since there are plently here with only a few AP's but they are almost entirely positive AP's which is a good sign and those negs they got often stemmed from their very first post because it was in the wrong forum or something equally "iffy".

Really there _should_ be no need for "policing". The intent is to create an "adults" only forum and, as such, issues shouldn't arise in there - they can be taken up in GCC or wherever. But should the need arise the forum members themselves need to have the "teeth" to say - "we don't want you here any more".

Lastly, there clearly has to be room for one kind of non-security thread and that would have to be discussion of potential nominees so someone can say "I've noticed Mr. X. He's cool, he has good questions/answers, what do you think". Discussion of potential bannings shouldn't be necessary and would only cause problems - it should be a no brainer to decide that someone's behaviour is becoming contrary to the intent of the forum.

Thoughts?

[Edit]

who would've thought...):
    Yeah, who woulda..... <LOL>

But I have rethought some of the initial things..... More acceptable?

Those threads wouldn't show up on the front page... a new member would come to AntiOnline and not see those discussions.
    Addicts survived...... Why do you think that forum members would suddenly stop answering questions in the other forums..... Methinks you have no faith in you membership if you think we would all run and hide in our "little haven".....

Read only view of the discussions is highly questionable..... Addicts isn't read only..... The forum I proposed is something people would "aspire" to gaining entry to rather than just an issue of waiting for the sun to go up and down enough times while you post in GCC.

[/Edit]
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ok, I can agree with both sides of this debate (finially one that is not an arguement). So let me try to combine the two sides and find a compatable compromise for both Negatives (+ MsM) and Tigers side.

What if we were to develope a spotlight forum. By that I mean a forum that purposely selects a topic and the different members of the forum (chosen and picked as per the previous suggestions) respond with in that subject matter. There could be multiple on going discussion on various topics, picking the best brains we have on the site.

When the discussion was deemed to be complete (by who and how??/) the whole thread could be edited if nessessary and then moved into the general forums to what ever catagory it best fits.

That way, you would have an elitist forum that covers the areas that some member want and JupMed has premium content on the main page also. New members would see the results and could/would aspire to gain admittence to that select few.

The finished thread could even be opened up for general comments once the spotlight crew were done with it.

The members of this special forum could vote on what posts contribute the most to the thread and take out the possible junk or misinformed posts before it was presented to the general membership.

Jupiter Media would have very professional discussions they could high light on their enterprise web sites and also increase their revenue.

And we could turn some of this argueing and bitching into something very productive. A win/win solution looking for a few great people to implement.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Very similar to what Pedro does with AO. It may not be a bad idea. Heck, threads wouldn't necessarily have to be complete. The spotlight forum could be almost like a Preview forum. A mod could (based on suggestions from members) highlight threads and other users could see it (but not reply -- similar to the Roll Call). Then if they want to start a thread in the lower sections, that could be done with a reference (link) to the Preview thread.

That would certainly add to the overall forum and perhaps show to new members what the expectation is and what they should strive for.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Hey Hey,

I think that the original suggestion is exactly that this site needs.... We can have serious discussions in Addicts because you get a bunch of post whoring seniors who turn the thread into a joke... we can't have a serious discussion anywhere else because people get pissed off that we're releasing "harmful information to skiddies".... Why not just create the forum.... Not everyone can see Addicts... so why not have another one... with different criteria... There will still be valid information on the main pages.. There is now.. why would that change... it just gives some of us a place to discuss more serious things and have discussions. If you care and want to keep your members happy... then this is the thing to do. Leave things the way they are and you'll very quickly see several of the regularly posting seniors leave.. then you'll definatley be left with a tech support forum... If people bitch and whine about not having access too bad... to hell with them....

I will say, however, that I disagree with the initial group coming out of people with custom titles.... I don't think that's entirely right.

Anyways,

Peace,
    HT

[Edit]
    If you have a problem with that.. then just create a new forum and make Tiger Shark the mod.... he can just delete the posts of everyone who isn't welcome there... and ban people who post slightly off topic.. I could live with that.
    [/Edit]

I had a feeling there was a reason we keep old Mox around rather than just putting him out to pasture but I could never quite put my finger on it.......

Nice idea, Mox...... It should work nicely and benefit everyone.....

Does AO have the technicaly functionality for this?

Does AO have the technicaly functionality for this?
    Right now I don't know. Mnstrgrl I think has been busy on another site so when she returns to our little world we can ask her then. For now, if we keep it simple I don't see any reason why not.