Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting Problem in Linux

Booting Problem in Linux

I have had Slackware 9.1 installed on my box for a while now and I have had errors pop up when booting about a module that has failed to load. It causes no problems in the workings of my computer but it really makes the boot process pretty slow and drawn out. Can someone please point me in the direction of the file that controls all the modules that are loaded when the computer boots up. Thanks in advance.

BANNED
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

hobbdebub, what is the error message? After you boot and login, as root, type: dmesg
    this will show you all of your boot messages.
    If you want to find a listing of loaded modules, then type as root: lsmod
    To find info on a module type: modinfo -d (module name)
    man modprobe: modprobe - program to add and remove modules from the Linux Kernel
    Hope this points you in the right direction.

All of the Slackware init files are located in /etc/rc.d. Go there and edit rc.modules; comment out whatever module is giving the error. Chances are you have updated your kernel from the one you selected at install and now it is looking for a module you no longer have/need. It's also a good idea to run depmod -a to keep module dependencies up-to-date (as gore suggested) but slack should do this on every boot (look near the top of the aforementioned rc.modules file)

This problem has been occuring ever since I first installed Slack. I typed dmesg and the error for my problem comes up like ten times. The error is : "i810_rng: RNG not detected", what would that module be used for? I mean it hasn't caused any problems in system performace so far. Just making the system skip over it will be good enough for me. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Originally posted here by hobbdebub
    This problem has been occuring ever since I first installed Slack. I typed dmesg and the error for my problem comes up like ten times. The error is : "i810_rng: RNG not detected", what would that module be used for? I mean it hasn't caused any problems in system performace so far. Just making the system skip over it will be good enough for me. Thanks for the help so far guys.
    If you have the proper intel-based chipset, and the userspace tools (extra software you have to go and d/l) then you can do some extra stuff; rng stands for random number generator. You won't lose anything. All modules in slack are loaded from /etc/rc.d/rc.modules; just put a # in front of the line with the module and you should be fine.

I looked through the rc.modules file and could not find the problem causing module anywhere. I even even entered "cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules | grep i810" and "cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules | grep rng" and still turned up with nothing. Is there a way to recompile the kernel to just leave this out? I did try moving the problem module to another file and it does decrease boot time but I think that it would cut it even more if it didn't have to put the error messages up. (I got this idea from one of the links you posted devpon, ) Any other suggestions?

Outside of compiling a new kernel, the only other thing that I can think of is to add that specific module to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.
    hth

Computer Forensics
    Not to beat a dead horse or anything...but why is this in *nix SECURITY discussions?

hob wins the gratuitous use of cat award for the day. cat and grep in the same command? eesh. grep -i i810 /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ...

Did you look in /lib/modules?

You could also try disabling it in hotplug, or disabling hotplug all together.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust